View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most-viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected nonprofit organizations.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- Cutting Special Needs Factsheet
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Disciplining Your Child
- Marijuana: What Parents Need to Know
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- 5 Ways to Bully-Proof Your Kid
- Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
- Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias
- Anxiety Disorders Special Needs Factsheet
- Helping Kids Cope With Cliques
- Cough and Cold Medicine Abuse
- Teaching Kids Not to Bully
- Taming Tempers
- Disciplining Your Toddler
- Your Child's Habits
- Taking Your Child to a Therapist
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
- Connecting With Your Preteen
- Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- A to Z: Panic Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- How Can I Help My Child Overcome Shyness?
- My Child Is Stealing
- Teaching Your Child Self-Control
- 504 Education Plans
- Developing Your Child's Self-Esteem
- Separation Anxiety
- Helping Teens Who Cut
- Could ADHD Be Hereditary?
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
- Social Phobia Special Needs Factsheet
- Temper Tantrums
- Childhood Stress
- About Teen Suicide
- ADHD Special Needs Factsheet
- Kids and Alcohol
- What Is ADHD?
- Autism Special Needs Factsheet
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Trusted External Resources
Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
My child has just been diagnosed with ADHD, and the doctor put him on Ritalin. Are there any side effects I should be concerned about?
Ritalin is just one of many medications doctors use to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Ritalin, also known as methylphenidate, works by allowing kids with ADHD to concentrate and focus at school and at home.
As with other psychostimulants, each child can respond somewhat differently. Many kids using Ritalin have few, if any, side effects. Others experience side effects like stomachaches, insomnia, decreased appetite, growth problems, irritability, and blood pressure problems.
To learn more about ADHD, various treatments, and possible side effects, talk to your doctor.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: August 11, 2016