Symptoms of some infectious diseases in children (like a fever that lasts too long) can not only be puzzling to you, but to your child’s primary care doctor, too. Nemours’ team of pediatric specialists is there to help uncover the cause of your child’s symptoms. We create a management plan for all infectious diseases in children, which means we work with your child's doctor to ensure the condition will be well-monitored and managed.
The first sign of infectious diseases in children can be a fever or feeling unwell. However, it might be more severe, longer-lasting or show unusual symptoms that are confusing to you and your child’s doctor.
Common infectious diseases in children we evaluate:
- MRSA (a contagious staph bacteria)
- chronic or recurrent infections
- pediatric HIV/AIDS
- perinatal exposure to HIV (that is, exposure to the virus around the time of birth)
- unusual bacterial, fungal or viral infections
- unexplained fever
- Lyme disease
- infectious mononucleosis
- bone and joint infections
- Kawasaki disease
- rheumatic fever
- infections in patients whose immune systems are not fully functioning
Clinic Location: 5th Floor
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The pediatric infectious diseases specialists at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH) provide consultation, evaluation, diagnosis and treatment for a wide variety of mild to severe infectious diseases.
As board-certified pediatric infectious diseases specialists, we know the unique signs and symptoms of even the most complex infectious diseases in children (symptoms that are often very different from those seen in adults). We offer compassionate, expert family-centered care that’s backed by advanced research and the newest, most innovative technology available. You can trust that we’ll provide the appropriate treatment for your child’s special needs.
Consultations at NCH for children with infectious diseases are provided on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. For inpatients (children staying overnight), we’re on call to consult in many other areas of the hospital, including:
- intensive care units
- emergency department
- general pediatrics
- surgical units
Children and adolescents who are referred to our team will meet with the attending infectious diseases physician as well as others on the team, who will take a complete medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. Many types of diagnostic testing are available for infectious diseases in children, from blood tests to state-of-the-art medical imaging.
In addition to inpatient hospital care, our infectious diseases specialists provide follow-up outpatient care and treatment here at Nemours Children's Hospital, as well as at our specialty care locations in downtown Orlando (Orange Avenue) and Melbourne, Fla. We also provide home IV therapy management services.
Caused by microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites, infectious diseases in children can result in discomfort, headaches, itchy rashes and fevers. Depending on the disease, infectious diseases can also create serious life-threatening complications, particularly when a child’s immune system is suppressed by certain medications, a recent surgery, illness or a chronic medical condition.
Some common infections we see:
- skin infections/ rashes/MRSA
- recurrent or prolonged fevers
- bone/joint infections
- respiratory infections/sinusitis/pneumonia
- ear infections
- diarrhea/gastrointestinal (GI) infections
Infectious disease specialists from Nemours provide specialized treatment and care for children with HIV infection through the Children’s Medical Services’ Help, Understand and Guide Me (HUG-Me) Center located at the Central Health Clinic (7000 Lake Ellenor Drive). For more information please call the center at (407) 858-5555.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.