When your child is hospitalized, you want to understand exactly what’s happening and know that your child is in good hands. If your child needs to stay in the hospital, Nemours’ board-certified pediatric hospitalists and inpatient hospital care nurses are here to manage your child’s inpatient hospital care from admission through discharge.
Different from primary care physicians or pediatric specialists who have private practices and admitting privileges at various hospitals, pediatric hospitalists are completely devoted to caring for hospitalized infants, children and teens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Pediatric hospitalists coordinate your child’s care and share information, treatment plans and results using the latest in electronic health record technology. Working closely with you and your child’s specialists, our inpatient hospital care teams are here to help your child get back home as soon as possible.
Nemours Pediatric Hospitalists
During your child’s hospital stay, a Nemours pediatric hospitalist may serve as your child’s “attending physician” overseeing your child’s care, while also providing careful coordination of services and communication with your referring or primary care physician, as well as any other specialists your child may need.
Nemours' pediatric hospitalists and hospital care nurses treat hospitalized children with medical problems associated with chronic (ongoing) conditions and illnesses such as:
- gastroenteritis (a virus that’s also called the “stomach flu”)
- infections (cellulitis, pneumonia or kidney infections)
- unexplained abdominal pain
- persistent headaches
Here When and Where You Need Us
Our pediatric hospitalists are on staff at the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del., and Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando. And, thanks to partnerships with hospitals in major cities in Florida, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you can get the same Nemours specialty pediatric hospital care closer to home.
- Bhandary, Sagar R. , MD
- Consolini, Deborah M. , MD
- Fingado, Emily , MD
- Fow, Fred A. , MD
- Fox, Michael D. , MD
- Jones, Chalanda E. , MD
- Leffler, Maureen G. , DO, MPH
- Levy, Carly D. , MD
- Malatack, J. Jeffrey , MD
- Phan, Thao-Ly T. , MD, MPH
- Poshoghlian, Hagop , MD
- Pressel, David M. , MD
- Raab, Christopher P. , MD
- Rappaport, David I. , MD
- Stubblefield, Samuel C. , MD
In cooperation with your child's primary physician, the pediatric hospitalists at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children are here to coordinate your child’s ongoing inpatient hospital care and communication with specialists, nurses, social workers, and other health care providers your child may see during a hospital stay.
Available around-the-clock, we may serve as the attending physician (overseeing your child’s care) or work in partnership with your attending physician/pediatric specialist. Our job is to:
- evaluate and treat pediatric emergencies
- provide newborn examinations
- care for our littlest patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- keep your primary care physician informed during and after your stay
- consult with Nemours pediatric specialists in more than 30 medical specialties
- help you identify a primary care physician if you don’t have one
- schedule appropriate follow-up care when required
- coordinate outpatient care with specialists, if needed
Nemours’ pediatric hospitalists also provide expert care after surgery for children with complex medical conditions and can help with sedation for procedures that don’t require the operating room.
Whatever brings your child to us for an overnight stay (or many), know that we do whatever it takes to give you and your child top-quality, coordinated inpatient hospital care from the time you check in until you’re ready to head back home.