When your child is hospitalized, you want to understand exactly what’s happening and know that your child is in good hands. If your child needs to stay in the hospital, Nemours’ board-certified pediatric hospitalists and inpatient hospital care nurses are here to manage your child’s inpatient hospital care from admission through discharge.
Different from primary care physicians or pediatric specialists who have private practices and admitting privileges at various hospitals, pediatric hospitalists are completely devoted to caring for hospitalized infants, children and teens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Pediatric hospitalists coordinate your child’s care and share information, treatment plans and results using the latest in electronic health record technology. Working closely with you and your child’s specialists, our inpatient hospital care teams are here to help your child get back home as soon as possible.
Nemours Pediatric Hospitalists
During your child’s hospital stay, a Nemours pediatric hospitalist may serve as your child’s “attending physician” overseeing your child’s care, while also providing careful coordination of services and communication with your referring or primary care physician, as well as any other specialists your child may need.
Nemours' pediatric hospitalists and hospital care nurses treat hospitalized children with medical problems associated with chronic (ongoing) conditions and illnesses such as:
- gastroenteritis (a virus that’s also called the “stomach flu”)
- infections (cellulitis, pneumonia or kidney infections)
- unexplained abdominal pain
- persistent headaches
Here When and Where You Need Us
Our pediatric hospitalists are on staff at the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del., and Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando. And, thanks to partnerships with hospitals in major cities in Florida, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you can get the same Nemours specialty pediatric hospital care closer to home.
Admissions: (855) KID-ADMIT
Information: (407) 650-7715
- Ali, Syed Arshad , MD
- Brogan, Ryan J. , DO
- Gill, Rebecca L. , MD
- Harshman, Sonali Mukherjee , MD
- Kielbasa, Johanna , MD
- Kopsombut, Usa Gift , MD
- Ngo, Vi T. , DO
- Palta, Anoop K , MD
- Rahko, Lori Kay , ARNP
- Rooney-Otero, Kathleen Margaret , MD
- Santiago, Michelle Lynn , ARNP
- Sarandria, John Joseph , MD
- Stephenson, Samantha M. , ARNP
- Struk, Magdalena M. , MD
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Having a child in the hospital is one of the most vulnerable times in life and the Inpatient Hospital Care team at Nemours Children’s Hospital is here to make sure your child is well cared for throughout your family’s entire stay. Whatever brings your child to us, know that we do whatever it takes to provide top-quality, coordinated inpatient hospital care from the time you check in until you’re ready to head back home.
With a staff of more than a dozen medical professionals, our pediatric hospitalists make sure your child gets the full benefit of all the hospital’s resources. We’ll facilitate the flow of information to and from your family, referring physician, primary care provider and any specialist(s) involved, coordinating care in ways that are sensitive to your child’s needs — and yours.
How Inpatient Hospital Care Works
Our team coordinates care for nearly every child who becomes an inpatient at Nemours Children’s Hospital — whether it’s a single night or a long-term stay. The only exceptions are children admitted to departments providing their own routine daily care, most notably newborn infants and children receiving cancer care.
Inpatient Hospital Care is an important emerging medical specialty. Our Hospitalists have received a high level of training in comprehensive evidence-based medicine within a family-centered environment. This means we’re trained to provide the best in-hospital care available for your child.
You’ll feel right at home in our patient's rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. Nemours also offers the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologists in the state, including those based at Nemours Children's Hospital.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
Coordinating Care With Your Primary Care Physician
Primary care physicians don’t always have the time to visit their patients when they’re in the hospital. So it’s a good idea to ask your child’s primary care physician in advance about arranging for pediatric inpatient hospital care if a stay at Nemours Children’s Hospital is ever needed. If your child is ever admitted through the Emergency Department, our Nemours Inpatient Hospital Care team will contact you automatically.
Our Hospitalists serve as medical advocates, with detailed knowledge about the staff, facilities and other resources available at the hospital. We’ll coordinate with you and your child’s doctor(s) throughout your child’s hospital stay, keeping everyone looped in on medical progress and making sure your child is as a comfortable as possible. And when your child is discharged, we’ll transfer responsibility for medical care seamlessly back to your referring or primary care physician.