The world-renowned pediatric orthopedists at Nemours are experts at evaluating and treating children from birth through age 18 with limb length discrepancies and deformities. Our specialists take a multidisciplinary team approach to diagnose and correct limb inequalities using advanced, nonsurgical treatments (such as physical medicine and rehabilitation) and state-of-the-art, minimally invasive limb lengthening surgical procedures and limb reconstruction.
Recognized as international leaders and pioneers in pediatric orthopedics and orthopedic surgery, our specialists and care teams are dedicated to treating your child — not just the condition. Limb length discrepancy in children results from congenital malformations (defects present at birth), acquired problems (such as trauma) and certain diseases (neurofibromatosis, Blount disease). At Nemours, we understand the complex conditions and injuries that can cause functional discrepancy, and will work with you to understand available treatment options specific to your child’s needs.
When you come to Nemours, you can expect compassionate care in a family-centered environment. This means that every detail, from our medical care and support services to our facilities and amenities, were designed with you in mind. We value your opinion and encourage participation in your child’s care, because you know your child best.
For Appointments: (904) 697-3600
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Support Services & Information
At Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Fleming Island, we provide a comprehensive limb length discrepancy program for children from birth through age 18 with a limb deformity or an unequal limb length.
To provide a diagnostic evaluation and limb length discrepancy treatment designed to improve function and well-being, we rely on a team approach that combines the expertise of:
- an orthopedic surgeon
- a radiologist
- a physical therapist
- an orthotist (a specialist who fits your child for a brace or splint)
We treat a variety of limb-length discrepancy conditions, including:
Congenital malformations (present at birth), such as:
- Fibular hemimelia: absence of part of the fibula
- Congenital short femur: when a child is born with a short femur, the bone in the upper leg, between the hip and knee
- Hemihypertrophy: overgrowth of one side of the body
Acquired problems (developed later in life), such as:
- Trauma: bone fractures
- Infection that damages growth plates: resulting in severe limb shortening or deformities
Limb length discrepancies caused by disease:including neurofibromatosis and Blount’s disease
At the Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Fleming Island we offer children both surgical and non-surgical treatment options for limb length discrepancy, including:
- exercise program development
- epiphysiodesis (surgical slowing of growth)
- limb lengthening
- limb shortening
- limb deformity correction
- shoe lifts and bracing
Whatever kind of limb length discrepancy your child has, know that at Nemours we do whatever it takes to give your child the very best, most compassionate treatment possible. We treat every child as we would our own — your child, our promise.