We know the idea of neurological problems can be scary for you and your child. Treating each child as our own, our Nemours pediatric neurology specialists provide expert care that’s as compassionate as it is technologically advanced. Whether your child has an injury or a neurological condition, we can help your child recover, improve and get back to just being a kid.
Neurological issues can affect your child’s cognitive functioning (ability to think, reason and make behavior choices), physical functioning (the way the body works), or both. Our Nemours pediatric neurologists take a team approach that brings in a variety of specialists who work together to give your child the best possible care.
The pediatric neurologists at Nemours have the expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat children with a wide range of neurological injuries and conditions, including:
- epilepsy and seizures
- headache and migraines
- cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and other neuromuscular disorders
- developmental delay
- sleep disorders
- learning and language disorders
- muscle and nerve disorders
- tumors in the nervous system such as neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis and other neurocutaneous syndromes
- Tourette syndrome and other tic disorders
- concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- copies of any previous neurologic studies (both interpretations of results by other professionals as well as laboratory results, CT scan or MRI images, and EEG tracings)
- copies of any previous neurologic evaluations by other neurologists
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
The pediatric neurologists, neuropsychologists and other experts at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children provide complete care for children with injuries and conditions that affect the brain, spine and nervous system.
Working in partnership with your child’s own primary care provider, our board-certified pediatric neurology specialists can help your child deal with a wide range of complex neurologic issues that can affect movement, learning, behavior and other problems.
Using the most advanced diagnostic tools, techniques and equipment, we bring together the medical training, expertise and judgment needed to address your child’s challenges. Because after all, kids just want to be kids, regardless of their condition or injury.
The neurology team at duPont Hospital for Children includes a large and varied lineup of neurology professionals, including:
- full-time and part-time neurologists
- advanced practice nurses (APNs)
- a physician assistant (PA)
We can diagnose and treat your child on an inpatient or outpatient basis, providing flexible consultation and care in a variety of neurological areas. And we make every effort to schedule your child’s appointment as quickly as possible.
The Swank Center for Neuro-Orthopaedics at duPont Hospital for Children advances the care of children with cerebral palsy (CP) and other neuro-orthopedic conditions.
The Center helps us provide a variety of services related to serving kids with CP, including:
- comprehensive care for children with CP and emotional support for their families
- education and training for practitioners in their care
- use of advanced technology and orthotics to improve daily living
- support for research to develop new and better therapies and assistive devices
Our Nemours pediatric neurology specialists focus on treating children with complex conditions, including:
- epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- neuromuscular disorders such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy (MD), multiple sclerosis (MS), anterior lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease) and others
- Migraine headaches
- Sleep disorders involving the nervous system
- Disorders mainly affecting the brain, spinal cord and nerves
Our pediatric neurology experts provide a wide range of outpatient services to help diagnose and treat kids with neurological issues.
Among the services available are:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) to measure brain waves (for diagnosing and monitoring kids with a variety of conditions)
- Intravenous (IV) therapy to relieve migraine headaches
- Immunoglobulin (IVIG) therapy to help treat kids with multiple sclerosis (MS) and other conditions that affect nerve fibers
- Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to help kids with migraines and other neurological disorders
- Polysomnography (sleep studies) for children with sleep disorders
In addition to complete services available at duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del., our Nemours neurology specialists provide inpatient care at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for children in Philadelphia.
We help train students, residents, and fellows from the nearby Jefferson Medical College.
We also maintain regular hours at many of the Nemours satellite locations throughout the Delaware Valley, including: