The way your child grows, develops and even feels, can depend on how well their endocrine system is working. Endocrine disorders create hormone imbalances that can affect a child's health in many different ways. Our pediatric endocrinologists provide care, treatment, education and supportive services to children dealing with both common and rare endocrine disorders.
Made up of hormone-producing glands, the endocrine system controls many body functions such as growth and development, maturation, energy levels and mood.
And although Type 1 diabetes — also known as juvenile diabetes — is the most recognizable condition, Nemours pediatric endocrinologists treat other diseases of the endocrine system such as:
- puberty disorders: premature (precocious) puberty, delayed puberty
- growth disorders: short stature (growth failure), growth hormone deficiency
- thyroid diseases: hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s disease), hyperthyroidism (Graves disease)
- pituitary disorders: diabetes insipidus, hypopituitarism
- adrenal disorders: Addison disease, Cushing syndrome
- polycystic ovary syndrome and other menstrual disorders
- genetic disorders: Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell Silver syndrome
- bone diseases and disorders of calcium and vitamin D: rickets and osteoporosis
- disorders of sexual differentiation
New JerseySpecialty Care
For Appointments: (850) 505-4745
Hours: Thursday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday: 8 a.m. to noon
Phone: (850) 505-4700 or (850) 505-4745
Please wait two weeks after labs have been done to discuss test results.
Request medication refills at the time you make your appointment.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
Please also bring (if available):
- all outside records
- growth curves
- X-rays and lab results
- meters and pumps
- list of medications
You may fax (850) 505-4756 your child’s blood sugar records. If blood sugars are normal and medication changes are not required, you won’t receive a return phone call. Email us if you’d like confirmation we received the information.
New Patient Forms
- Authorization for Treatment and Release of Information (PDF)
- Assignment of Benefits (PDF)
- Notice of Limited Liability (PDF)
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
- Ronald McDonald House of Northwest Florida: Located near Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital, this family-centered home away from home is available to families whose child needs to be hospitalized for treatment
Please request medication refills at the time you make your appointment — requests may take 48 hours to complete.
When calling for a refill, include:
- your child’s name
- medication name and dosage
- pharmacy name and phone number
- prescriptions will not be refilled if you have not been seen in our clinic in the past six months
Growth hormone therapy requires prior authorization for a brand on your insurance drug formulary. Please notify your insurance company to find out what brand(s) is covered (preferred) with a prior authorization.
When growth hormone therapy is recommended for your child, the following list of growth hormone manufacturer websites can be useful educational resources to help you become comfortable in making a choice for your child. Many of them include such tools as product and device information, storage and safety information, financial support programs, and instructional guides and demonstration videos. Reimbursement Center Case Managers can assist with insurance benefit investigation and coordination of growth hormone therapy.
Growth Hormone Manufacturers
Manufacturer: Pfizer Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Pfizer Bridge
Contact Case Manager: (800) 645-1280
Manufacturer: Eli Lilly and Company
Reimbursement Center: HRC-Humatrope
Contact Case Manager: (800) 642-2340
Manufacturer: Novo Nordisk, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Nordicare
Contact Case Manager: (888) 668-6444
Reimbursement Center: Nutropin GPS
Contact Case Manager: (866) 688-7674
Manufacturer: Sandoz, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: OmniSource
Contact Case Manager: (866) 749-3550
Manufacturer: EMD Serono, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Connections for Growth
Contact Case Manager: (800) 582-7989
Manufacturer: Gate Pharmaceuticals
Reimbursement Center: Growth Solutions
Contact Case Manager: (866) 838-8767
As a parent, you know the importance of balance in your child’s life– and so does your child’s body. Too many or too little of certain nutrients or hormones can result in an endocrine system disorder that can affect the way your child feels, moves and grows. Nemours pediatric endocrinologists are here to ensure that your child's body is properly reaching that balance.
The board-certified pediatric endocrinologists at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola, know how to recognize and treat these kinds of conditions so that your child can start feeling better again.
- disorders of puberty
- abnormal thyroid function
- hormone and growth disorders
- sexual differentiation disordersv
- bone disease
- Turner syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell Silver syndrome and Klinefelter syndrome
Nemours pediatric endocrinologists specialize in helping children with endocrine disorders. Along with our board certified pediatric endocrinologists our comprehensive care team, includes:
- nurses with advanced training
- registered dietitians
- licensed clinical social workers
- certified diabetes educators
Our pediatric endocrinologists are experienced in evaluating diagnosing and treating children with all types of endocrine disorders. Some of the state-of-the-art technology and screenings we may use to help us assess your child’s condition include:
- X-rays – for bone age assessment and other tests
- blood tests for diabetes and other disorders
- bone density
- body composition
- nutritional assessment
- growth hormone secretion tests
- hormonal deficiency tests