At Nemours, we promise to do whatever it takes to treat children as we would our own. When your child comes to Nemours, we know you’re placing your trust in us. This trust and our dedication to improving the health of your child is what inspires us to provide exceptional care and the most satisfying experience possible.
Stories: Patients and families share their experiences.
- Michael: Aortic Stenosis
- Sierra: Congenital Heart Defects
- Owen: Coarctation of the Aorta and Bicuspid Valve
- Ahsya: Heart Transplants in Children
- Seth: Heart Transplants in Children
- Lucy: Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Mavrik: Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Alexander: Tetralogy of Fallot
- Capucine:Tetralogy of Fallot
- Katie: Tetralogy of Fallot
- Luke: Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return
- Miracle: Unbalanced Atrioventricular Canal Defect
Quality & Safety: Learn how we track and measure the success of our care.
Owen: Coarctation of the Aorta and Bicuspid Valve
“At the worst time in my life, the staff always made us laugh and feel loved.
The Nemours Cardiac Center saved his life more than once. Every time I look
into his eyes I see all their faces. They gave us our son back.”
— Beth, Owen's mother
As a newborn, Owen didn’t sleep well, but his parents Beth and David weren’t worried — until he turned blue. Rushed to their local ED, Owen was diagnosed with a respiratory virus and referred to duPont Hospital for Children. En route, his condition deteriorated and his parents feared they had lost him.
At Nemours, doctors revived Owen and diagnosed a serious heart defect — coarctation of the aorta and bicuspid valve — for which he underwent pediatric heart surgery a week later. Owen endured several more procedures and spent more than three months in the cardiac intensive care unit. Through it all, his family and care team stayed positive.
Owen is now a happy, healthy, active 4-year-old. He attends school and loves trains and his two older brothers.