Nemours Children’s Health System is recognized for providing advanced and comprehensive pediatric neurosurgery to newborns, infants, children and adolescents across the country, and around the world. Our pediatric neurosurgeons are renowned for their expertise and skill treating common to complex neurological conditions and diseases whether they are congenital (present at birth) or acquired (related to injury, other pediatric medical conditions and genetic predispositions). At Nemours, our goal is to provide healing and health for your child, and support for your entire family.
Advanced Pediatric Neurosurgery Care for Kids
Nemours’ pediatric neurosurgeons have extensive knowledge about how a child’s brain develops and work to minimize risks to future brain functioning. We perform extremely advanced and precise pediatric neurosurgery procedures for nearly every childhood brain, skull, spinal cord and nervous system condition. Together with a multidisciplinary team of specialists (neurologists, orthopedists, geneticists, urologists, developmental and behavioral experts, radiologists), Nemours provides comprehensive, compassionate care for your child’s physical, cognitive and emotional needs before, during and well after neurosurgery is performed.
Some of the neurosurgical pediatric conditions we treat include:
- achondroplasia-related and other skeletal-dysplasia-related problems (e.g., foramen magnum stenosis, lumbar stenosis and cervical instability)
- arachnoid cysts (fluid-filled sac inside the head or spine)
- arteriovenous malformations (abnormal connection between arteries and veins)
- brachial plexus injuries (to the spinal cord nerves that signal to the shoulder, arms and hands)
- brain and spinal cord trauma (injury)
- brain and spinal cord tumors
- Chiari malformation (when brain tissue extends down into the spinal cord)
- congenital anomalies of the neck and back (birth defects)
- craniofacial anomalies (facial and skull bone disorders)
- craniosynostosis (skull bones fuse together before the brain has stopped growing)
- dural fistulas (abnormal connection between arteries and veins in the outer layer of the brain)
- epilepsy (neurological seizure disorder)
- herniated discs (slipped or ruptured discs between the vertebrae)
- hydrocephalus (increased spinal fluid in the ventricles of the brain)
- idiopathic intracranial hypertension (increased spinal fluid pressure in the brain)
- intracranial hemorrhage (bleeding inside the skull)
- Moyamoya disease (blockage of the internal carotid arteries)
- neurofibromatosis types I and II (nerve tissue tumors)
- pituitary and pineal gland lesions (craniopharyngiomas, germ cell tumors)
- positional plagiocephaly (flattened head)
- scoliosis (spine curvature)
- spasticity (muscle stiffness and/or involuntary movement)
- spina bifida (neural tube defect of the spine)
- Sturge-Weber syndrome (marked by vascular birthmark and neurological abnormalities)
- syringomyelia (cyst in the spinal cord)
- tethered spinal cord (when the spinal cord is attached to the spinal column)
- tuberous sclerosis (benign lesions of the nervous system)
- vascular anomalies of the head and neck
Renowned Researchers and Neurosurgeons
The neurosurgeons at Nemours are active in researching neurological conditions in children, and publishing in peer-reviewed medical journals. Our pediatric neurosurgeons are also studying concussion treatments and developing novel neurosurgical instruments and non-invasive diagnostic technologies.
Family-Centered Care at Its Best
At the center of our care are our patients and families. We understand that no one knows your child better than you, so we always take time listen to your concerns and provide personal service and comprehensive care for your child — and family — through emotional support, education and open communication.
Hours: Hours vary; call to schedule an appointment.
For Appointments: (800) 416-4441
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Deptford is conveniently located on Almonesson Road near the Deptford Mall. Our state-of-the-art facility offers a full range of clinical and therapy services, in addition to an ambulatory (outpatient) surgery center and onsite imaging.
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. We understand that no one knows your child better than you do — and that you’re one of the most important members of your child’s care team. That’s why we make every effort to include you in the process and to create a close relationship built on mutual respect, collaboration and education.
To ensure everyone is on the same page (including your primary care provider or pediatrician) your entire medical care team has access to our award-winning electronic health record system that keeps track of every visit, every test result and every procedure at Nemours.
And you can access select parts of your child’s health record through MyNemours, our secure portal that allows you to interact with your care providers and request prescription refills online, anytime.