Eye exams may have their place in your family’s vision health, but only a pediatric ophthalmologist is trained to treat children, and provide thorough pediatric eye exams. At Nemours, we focus on children and know how to ease a child’s fears and can help those with a developmental disorder (e.g., autism) through pediatric eye exams for the best possible diagnostic result.
When Should Your Child Have a First Eye Exam?
Nemours' pediatric ophthalmologists encourage early screenings by your child’s primary care doctor at the newborn visit and at all well child visits.
In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) and the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) all recommend that your child's eyes be examined at timely intervals.
Why? Because pediatric eye exams result in early detection and treatment of eye disorders leading to more successful treatment outcomes and protecting your child's vision.
How Can We Tell What Your Child Sees?
Many parents wonder: How do you check vision in kids during pediatric eye exams who are too young to recognize the letters on the chart — or talk?
Nemours pediatric ophthalmologists often perform comprehensive pediatric eye exams on very young children and infants.
Our pediatric eye specialists use accurate picture eye charts and child-specific techniques, such as Teller Acuity Cards, which test an infant or young child's visual perception without requiring knowledge of letters or even a verbal response.
We can evaluate a child’s vision for alignment, eye movements, and structure. Pediatric eye exams also include retinoscopy and autorefraction, which are tests that can objectively measure the refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism).
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you've made an appointment, please be sure to bring along the following items to help us check you in as efficiently as possible:
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- any forms required for school, camp, sports, etc.
- a list of prior immunizations
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH), our expertise in performing pediatric eye exams helps kids achieve and protect healthy vision.
Our pediatric ophthalmology clinic features:
- kid-friendly diagnostic equipment
- exam rooms designed specifically for pediatric eye exams
Our care team includes people who know kids and can help your child feel at ease. This helps us conduct a quality pediatric eye exam even in the youngest children and babies, which can lead to more accurate diagnoses.
Specialized Training in Pediatric Ophthalmology
The pediatric ophthalmology team at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH) has completed specialized training to diagnose and treat pediatric eye problems. We offer Central Florida families comprehensive pediatric eye exams and testing in order to diagnose and treat infant, childhood and adolescent eye disorders. If needed, they also have the skill and experience to perform pediatric eye surgery.
Focused on Healthy Vision From Birth
When you bring your child to our Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology, our eye care team takes the time to explain each step of pediatric eye exams (e.g., how eye drops work and feel) and do all they can to help you and your child feel comfortable.
Using the latest diagnostic techniques and equipment adapted just for children, we provide comprehensive in-office pediatric eye exams. We also offer the imaging options below.
An ultrasound that produces a 2-D image of the eye and its surrounding tissues can show any growths or other structural abnormalities. If a more in-depth study is needed, a CT scan or MRI may also be ordered.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in our patient's rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.