At Nemours, our team of experts understand how pediatric sports medicine injuries can impact your child — and how each child's individual growth should be taken into consideration with their personalized rehabilitation program. So we do whatever it takes to diagnose and rehabilitate sports medicine injuries in children and get them back in the game — safely.
Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries We Treat
At Nemours' locations offering Sports Medicine, we treat:
- knee: patellar instability, anterior knee pain, anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus tears, cartilage damage
- ankle: ligament tears, instability, cartilage damage
- shoulder: dislocations, impingement and tendonitis
- elbow: Little Leaguer’s elbow, tennis elbow, loose bodies
- spine: spondylolisthesis (when one spine bone slips in relation to the one below it), muscle strains/sprains
- hip: dance, ice hockey and ice skating injuries
- head: concussions
Preventing Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries
We also focus on preventing an injury before it happens:
- customized conditioning ("prehabilitation") regimens that concentrate on core strengths to prevent overuse injuries and develop good body mechanics
- pre-season screenings
- intervention counseling: when and how to rest, how to play
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Members of the pediatric sports medicine team from Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons — come to Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Melbourne to provide expert injury care and prevention services for Brevard County’s young athletes, closer to home.
Plus, our office is an after-hours urgent care location, which means we’re here every day of the year for minor urgent care injuries from 5–11 p.m. on weekdays, and from 1–11 p.m. on weekends.
Expert, Integrated Pediatric Sports Medicine in Central Florida
Common sports injuries in children include everything from fractures, torn ligaments and sprains, to head injuries and heat exhaustion. That’s why at Nemours, our pediatric sports medicine specialists work closely with neurosurgeons, physical therapists and other pediatric care providers to plan and support your child’s recovery from sports-related injuries, including concussions.
Our team not only assists young athletes with injuries, we work with families and community athletic directors to maximize your child’s experience by providing programs and information about sports safety, selection and performance to help prevent injuries before they happen.
If your child has an existing medical condition (such as asthma, epilepsy or a missing limb), our sports medicine team will provide comprehensive evaluation and coordination with other specialists from Nemours Children’s Hospital, such as pulmonologists, neurologists, orthotists and prosthetists, to provide the most integrated treatment possible.
At your child’s visit, our sports medicine specialist will perform an examination, create an evaluation and treatment plan with a projected timeline for recovery, and develop benchmarks to follow your child’s progress.
In addition to evaluation and follow-up care, the pediatric sports medicine team at Melbourne can also provide:
- nutritional and hydration counseling
- sport selection, exercise tolerance testing and "prehab" for children with chronic illness
- sports-related prosthetics and accommodations for children with disabilities
- guidance for preventing injuries related to dance, cheer, gymnastics, martial arts, etc.
- concussion baseline testing and postconcussion treatment
If your child needs X-rays or lab tests, we offer them onsite. For additional medical imaging, orthopedic surgery, therapies or other procedures, we will refer you to Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando’s Lake Nona area for expert pediatric care. Your family will feel right at home at a hospital built by families, for families.
After hours, our Nemours board-certified pediatricians and emergency care specialists offer urgent care services at this location, providing immediate, advanced pediatric care to kids and young adults — from newborns to 21 years of age — that’s available evenings and weekends.
Nemours Children’s Urgent Care offices each have a fully accredited laboratory as well as X-ray imaging equipment. And if your child receives an X-ray, it will be read by doctors at the urgent care center and by a board-certified pediatric radiologist at Nemours Children’s Hospital.