If your child needs pediatric surgery, it’s good to know that Nemours surgeons and specialized teams are skilled in procedures ranging from routine outpatient surgery to complex inpatient surgeries. Pediatric surgeons perform “general surgery” (also called “pediatric surgery”), which means operations for children on areas of the body other than the “brain, bones, and heart.”
We offer a wide range of surgical services in our advanced pediatric surgery center for kids of any age, from newborns to teens. Some of the common pediatric surgeries our board-certified surgeons perform treat conditions and problems like:
- abnormalities or defects: either congenital (present at birth) or acquired (ones that develop over time) including abdominal wall, chest wall, endocrine system (glands), gastrointestinal tract, lungs, head and neck masses
- abscesses, lesions, and burns on the skin and soft tissue
- appendicitis: inflammation of the appendix (a small finger-like organ that's attached to the large intestine in the lower right side of the abdomen and is usually accompanied by fever and pain in the lower abdomen and around the belly button that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation)
- gastrointestinal conditions: such as gastroesophageal reflux, inflammatory bowel disease, and gallbladder disease
- endocrine problems: like thyroid/parathyroid conditions
- hernias: when part of an organ or tissue in the body such as a loop of intestine pushes through an opening or weak spot in a muscle wall
- conditions in infants or newborns — such as pyloric stenosis, intestinal malrotation, intussusception, and necrotizing enterocolitis
- oncology conditions
- obesity: bariatric/lap band surgery
Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
In certain cases and at some Nemours locations, our pediatric surgeons are able to offer minimally invasive procedures (including robotic surgery) to diagnose and treat various conditions.
Traditional "open surgery" procedures require larger "open incisions,"
whereas minimally invasive procedures use the patient’s natural openings (like the mouth and throat) or tiny incisions an inch or smaller. And that means shorter hospital stays, quicker recovery times, less pain and discomfort, reduced chance of infection and bleeding, and much smaller scars.
Hours: Hours vary; call to schedule an appointment.
For Appointments: (800) 416-4441
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Deptford is conveniently located on Almonesson Road near the Deptford Mall. Our state-of-the-art facility offers a full range of clinical and therapy services, in addition to an ambulatory (outpatient) surgery center and onsite imaging.
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. We understand that no one knows your child better than you do — and that you’re one of the most important members of your child’s care team. That’s why we make every effort to include you in the process and to create a close relationship built on mutual respect, collaboration and education.
To ensure everyone is on the same page (including your primary care provider or pediatrician) your entire medical care team has access to our award-winning electronic health record system that keeps track of every visit, every test result and every procedure at Nemours.
And you can access select parts of your child’s health record through MyNemours, our secure portal that allows you to interact with your care providers and request prescription refills online, anytime.