If your child or teen is injured in a fall or car crash (two of the most common causes of childhood injury), prompt, specialized trauma care can make all the difference. Studies show that children and teens have significantly better outcomes when they're treated in a pediatric trauma center. That's because we have the training, experience and right equipment to take care of severe pediatric injuries.
After a Serious Injury, Every Second Counts
Children with serious injuries are brought here by ground or air (ambulance or helicopter) through local Emergency Medical Services (EMS) via a call to 911, or through the Nemours Kids Transport team at the request of another hospital or other health care facility. Our trauma team remains in contact with the teams during transport to our pediatric trauma center.
What Does It Mean to Be a Pediatric Trauma Center?
The pediatric trauma center at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is part of a statewide trauma system that allows pediatric patients in the tri-state area who require a higher level of trauma care to be transferred here. The American College of Surgeons designates trauma centers from Level I to Level IV, with Level I being the highest.
The only verified Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in the state of Delaware, duPont Hospital for Children is the first stop for sick and severely injured children in the tri-state area.
For Information: (302) 651-4000 (ask for the trauma office)
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children has Delaware’s only pediatric trauma center. Verified as a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons, we provide exceptional trauma care 24/7, year-round, for seriously injured children in the tri-state area.
A Pediatric Trauma Team Dedicated to Your Child
Our experienced, in-house pediatric trauma team, led by the attending surgeon (the surgeon in charge of your child's care), includes:
- emergency medicine physicians
- pediatric anesthesiologist
- pediatric radiologist and radiology (medical imaging) technicians
- critical care physicians
- surgery residents, who are doctors training to be surgeons
- advanced practice nurses (APN), including surgical APN and pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) nurses
- sub-specialist surgeons (as needed) such as orthopedics, cardiac surgery, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, and ears, nose and throat (ENT)
Injury Prevention Programs at the Pediatric Trauma Center
Injury is the No. 1 cause of death in children, taking the lives of more than 20,000 children every year. Our pediatric trauma center mission includes providing important injury prevention programs and outreach to help educate parents and avoid injuries in kids of all ages.