No one knows for sure what causes nighttime wetting, also called nocturnal enuresis, but bedwetting is usually a natural part of development, and most children grow out of it. However, enuresis — not being able to control peeing in the daytime or nighttime — can be a sign of another medical condition, especially if it begins abruptly or is accompanied by other symptoms. Then it may be time for your child to be seen by Nemours pediatric urologists who specialize in treating urologic problems in children.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The physicians in the Division of Pediatric Urology at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH) are board certified in urology and have additional subspecialty fellowship training and certification in pediatric urology. This means our urology specialists bring extensive knowledge and expertise to the management and treatment of your child’s urological condition, from simple to complex disorders involving the urinary tract or genitalia.
Perhaps most important of all, our pediatric urology team, which includes nurses and other care providers specifically trained in pediatric urology, understands the unique needs of children and the concerns of parents. We take the time to answer all your questions, and to provide sensitive, compassionate care for your child.
Among the services we provide are:
- complete urologic assessment, including bedwetting
- pediatric gynecologic assessment
- reconstructive surgery of urinary tract or genitalia
- minimally invasive surgery
- reviews of voiding studies, voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) (X-ray images of a the urinary system) ultrasounds and other radiologic studies
Some of the pediatric urologic surgical procedures we perform include:
- hydrocele surgery and hernia repair (closure of the inguinal, or groin, canal)
- hypospadias repair (relocating the urethra, or the opening that carries urine out of the body)
- varicocele correction (correcting the backwards flow of urine)
- orchiectomy (removal of the testis)
- orchidopexy (fastening of an undescended testis inside the scrotum) partial and total nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- partial and total nephrectomy (kidney removal)
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in our patient's rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. Nemours also offers the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologists in the state, including those based at Nemours Children's Hospital.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.