Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The physicians in the Division of Pediatric Urology at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH) are board certified in urology and have additional subspecialty fellowship training and certification in pediatric urology. This means our urology specialists bring extensive knowledge and expertise to the management and treatment of your child’s urological condition, from simple to complex disorders involving the urinary tract or genitalia.
Perhaps most important of all, our pediatric urology team, which includes nurses and other care providers specifically trained in pediatric urology, understands the unique needs of children and the concerns of parents. We take the time to answer all your questions, and to provide sensitive, compassionate care for your child.
Among the services we provide are:
- complete urologic assessment
- pediatric gynecologic assessment
- reconstructive surgery of urinary tract or genitalia
- minimally invasive surgery
- reviews of voiding studies, voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG, or X-ray images of the urinary system) ultrasounds and other radiologic studies
Signature Pediatric Urology Programs
In addition to routine urologic care for children, we offer highly-specialized programs to help children through a variety of related problems.
The pediatric experts at Nemours Children’s Hospital are experienced in evaluating the causes of stones that form in the bladder and kidney. We employ the most innovative, advanced care including noninvasive and minimally invasive techniques to help stones pass with minimal pain and, if necessary, robotic surgical stone removal. We also offer ongoing long-term, family-centered care to prevent future kidney stones from forming.
The pediatric urology experts at Nemours Children’s Hospital are experienced in evaluating the causes of stones that form in the bladder and kidney. Working in collaboration with medical kidney specialists (nephrologists), we can identify the metabolic causes of why stones develop and provide an individualized treatment plan to prevent future stone formation. What’s more, most of our physicians also speak Spanish.
Working in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of specialists, our urologists provide a comprehensive bladder function program for children with bladder control issues, including incontinence (involuntary leakage of urine) and daytime or nighttime wetting (nocturnal or diurnal enuresis). The program combines urotherapy, medical, behavioral and biofeedback therapies — all oriented for children, using video game therapy to teach about the bladder and the muscles that control urination.
We also participate in a multispecialty clinic for children with spina bifida, myelomenigocele and other spinal cord anomalies. The clinic gives children with these conditions access to a coordinated team of specialists — including orthopedists, nephrologists, gastroenterologists, neurosurgeons and urologists — along with nurse managers and physical, occupational and rehabilitation therapists who manage all of their medical needs in one place.
We provide advanced multidisciplinary care for children with hypospadias, ambiguous genitalia and other disorders of sexual differentiation. Because these issues often require more than a surgical solution, we treat these conditions in a team environment, coordinating with specialists in endocrinology (hormones and growth) and behavioral health when necessary.
Our pediatric urology specialists are experts in the use of minimally invasive techniques whenever possible. These include laparoscopic, robot-assisted and single-site surgery, sometimes offering tiny incisions through the navel, to minimize scarring, promote healing and speed the recovery process. We can often use these advanced techniques for children with a variety of common issues, including undescended testicle, ureteropelvic junction obstruction, vesicoureteral reflux and complex kidney stone disease.
Special Expertise in Pediatric Urologic Surgery
Nemours pediatric urologists perform a variety of state-of-the-art surgical interventions for urologic conditions, such as pyeloplasty (correction of kidney obstruction) in infants.
Some of the pediatric urologic surgical procedures we perform include:
- hydrocele surgery and hernia repair (closure of the inguinal, or groin, canal)
- hypospadias repair (relocating the urethra, or the opening that carries urine out of the body)
- varicocele correction (correcting the backwards flow of urine)
- orchiectomy (removal of the testis)
- orchidopexy (fastening of an undescended testis inside the scrotum) partial and total nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- partial and total nephrectomy (kidney removal)
We also offer special testing, including video fluoroscopic urodynamic testing (using low dose X-ray imaging) and noninvasive uroflowmetry (a special funnel connected to a measuring instrument) to assess urinary function.
Advanced Robotic-Assisted Surgery for Children
Urology specialists at the Nemours Children’s Hospital regularly perform robotic surgery and lecture throughout the country on advanced techniques for urologic surgery for children.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in our patient's rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
Several of our urology team members and surgeons are bilingual and can speak with you in English or Spanish. We also offer translation services for other languages.