If your child’s functional ability and communication skills have been affected by disease or traumatic injury, look to the Nemours experts in pediatric rehabilitation medicine (also known as pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation or PM&R). Our pediatric rehabilitation program for children up to age 17 is designed to help your child improve the abilities to move and communicate, and to function as independently as possible in the home, school and community environments.
To accomplish this, we use a true team approach to include related areas of expertise and coordinate care. Your child will benefit from the knowledge and skill of our board-certified physicians in physical medicine — also called rehab physicians or pediatric physiatrists (pronounced fi-zee-a'-trists) — neuropsychologists, physical therapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, social workers and rehabilitation nurses, among others. One of our pediatric rehab physicians will lead your child’s care team. These physicians have completed residencies in physical medicine and rehabilitation and either one year of practice as licensed physiatrists or one year of physical medicine and rehabilitation fellowships following the completion of their residencies.
We’ll use a coordinated, integrated approach to evaluate your child, develop a treatment plan, and provide all of the necessary therapeutic services. And we’ll give you both the education and training you’ll need to continue your child’s progress at home.
We offer pediatric rehabilitation medicine services for a wide range of conditions, including:
- traumatic brain injury (including concussion)
- acquired brain injury (such as a stroke, brain tumor or loss of oxygen to the brain)
- pediatric spinal cord dysfunction (including those resulting in ventilator dependency)
- congenital and acquired neuromuscular disorders (including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis)
- post-surgery for orthopedic conditions and injuries
- multiple trauma
- chronic musculoskeletal (orthopedic) pain including myofascial pain syndromes (chronic pain on sensitive points in your muscles in seemingly unrelated parts of your body) and reflex sympathetic dystrophy/chronic regional pain syndrome (RSD/CRPS), a chronic disease characterized by severe pain, swelling and changes in the skin
- developmental disabilities
Hours: Hours vary; call to schedule an appointment.
For Appointments: (800) 416-4441
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Deptford is conveniently located on Almonesson Road near the Deptford Mall. Our state-of-the-art facility offers a full range of clinical and therapy services, in addition to an ambulatory (outpatient) surgery center and onsite imaging.
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. We understand that no one knows your child better than you do — and that you’re one of the most important members of your child’s care team. That’s why we make every effort to include you in the process and to create a close relationship built on mutual respect, collaboration and education.
To ensure everyone is on the same page (including your primary care provider or pediatrician) your entire medical care team has access to our award-winning electronic health record system that keeps track of every visit, every test result and every procedure at Nemours.
And you can access select parts of your child’s health record through MyNemours, our secure portal that allows you to interact with your care providers and request prescription refills online, anytime.