In our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, or the PICU, Nemours’ critical care medicine experts evaluate and treat the most critically ill children, those in need of advanced life support and continuous monitoring in the hospital. Our team is capable of treating an emergency situation on a moment’s notice — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We’re there when your child needs us the most.
Conditions that might require admission to a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit:
- acute and chronic respiratory failure
- airway obstruction
- sepsis and septic shock
- circulatory shock
- acute renal (kidney) failure
- liver failure
- diabetic ketoacidosis
- severe electrolyte abnormalities
- heart rhythm problems
- neuromuscular disease
- blood- and cancer-related complications
- solid organ or bone marrow transplant support
- neurological problems
- severe poisoning
Nemours intensivists, who are doctors who specialize in providing care in the intensive care unit, are skilled in a full range of life-supporting techniques, including:
- mechanical ventilation therapies for children who can’t breathe on
- all forms of dialysis and blood filtration processes
- advanced programs including pain management, sedation, and medication withdrawal
- all types of noninvasive and invasive monitoring systems
Clinic Location: 3rd Floor
For Information: (407) 567-4000
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
At Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando, FL, our pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) provides diagnosis, treatment, advanced life support, and monitoring for critically ill children with diverse medical and surgical problems.
What You Can Expect at the PICU
Our team consists of specially trained physicians, registered nurses, pharmacists, registered dietitians, social workers, Child Life specialists, pastoral care teams, and respiratory care staff. Together, we’re able to provide state-of-the-art care in a family-centered intensive care unit that meets your family’s physical, psychological, emotional, and social needs.
With a promise to treat your child like one of our own, Nemours experts from any number of relevant subspecialties are available to help with your child’s condition.
Extensive consultation is available with:
- interventional radiology
- pediatric rehabilitative services
Our intensivists also engage in cooperative academic relationships with the University of Central Florida located nearby within the Lake Nona Medical City.
NCH has employed some of the most advanced technologies available to keep your child safe. We use special security bands and a computer monitoring system so we know where your child is at all times.
What’s more, our intensivists, specialists, and nurses use highly-secure medical communication devices, via smart phone text technology, to stay in touch. This means your PICU team is in minute-to-minute contact, continuously updating each other on your child’s status and special needs.
Our pediatric intensive care unit is truly a model of family-centered care. It was designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital, so you have everything you need, all in one place.
You can stay with your child in privacy and comfort in one of our 10 large single-patient rooms with sleep accommodations for parents and a spacious bathroom, wireless internet access, and flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light (with sun shades and window blackout shades)
- interactive television for patient education, communication, meal orders, room service, music, and digital artwork
- connections for DVD players and game systems
- LED lighting controls for patients to “paint” the room with color
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- mobile desk/dining table for in-room family dining and working
- wardrobe storage for personal items and hotel-style safe
We offer a number of double rooms for families with twins or siblings with multiple conditions, so everyone can stay together when it matters most.
Along with expert intensivist and nursing care, we’ve created a lovely “hospital within a garden” environment that provides healing of body, mind, and spirit. With beautiful green lawns and mature trees, there are many places for you and your family to go for restful rejuvenation and respite, including our one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of the rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities, like:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café & coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
No matter how long your child’s stay, please know that we’ll help make your family's experience as easy and stress-free as possible.