The successful imaging of children requires special expertise and knowledge. We’ve combined our pediatric radiology groups in Delaware and Florida into one integrated system, offering families the benefit of the experience and commitment of all of our board-certified pediatric radiologists. Your child’s scan can be shared and read by our specialists in an instant, anywhere, any time.
Pediatric Radiology Designed to Meet Kids' Needs
Radiology, or medical imaging, allows doctors to use a variety of noninvasive tests (when no instrument is inserted inside the body) to "see" the bones and organs. These studies are performed by our team of experts who are specially trained to work with kids, using pediatric radiology equipment that's designed or adapted to meet your child's needs.
Reducing Exposure to Radiation With Accurate Results
Your child’s safety is our main concern. That’s why our pediatric radiology team is thoroughly committed to limiting your child’s radiation exposure by using the lowest dose necessary to get an accurate image during an X-ray or any other type of medical imaging.
For Appointments: (407) 567-4238
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Radiology (Medical Imaging) Forms
X-rays, CAT scans (Computed Axial Tomography), MRIs (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), and other medical imaging tests can be life saving for children. Our board certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists at Nemours Children’s Hospital know how to get detailed, accurate imaging results for children of every age — even newborns — while keeping your child’s safety and comfort our top priority.
A New Level of Pediatric Radiology Services for Central Florida Families
In our hospital designed by families, for families, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services in a welcoming, child-friendly environment.
Our unique services include:
- Interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image-guidance — typically ultrasound, fluoroscopy or XperCT scan, and 3-D guidance — to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgical procedures can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- Neuroradiological, cardiovascular, and fetal MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions requiring this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner. This machine scans faster than most CT scanners, producing excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
There are many different types of imaging tests that your child’s doctor may order, depending on what type of information is needed.
Some of these tests are very brief and require no preparation at all.
Others require specific preparation (e.g., anesthesia) and may last an
hour or more.
You will be told when your child must stop eating and drinking before the study and the nurse or X-ray technician will give you all the information you need to know about your child’s test.
A plain X-ray is a simple, safe, and painless test that uses a small amount of radiation to take pictures of your child’s bones and internal organs.
Computed axial tomography (CAT) scan
A CAT scan is a painless test that uses a special doughnut-shaped X-ray machine to take pictures of a certain part of your child’s body. The machine provides cross-sectional views of the body from various angles. This test may also be performed with “contrast.” Contrast agents, usually administered by a nurse intravenously (through an IV), can highlight certain areas that doctors need to see in more detail.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
MRI is a safe and painless test that’s performed using a large doughnut-shaped scanner with a tunnel in the center. The scanner uses a magnetic field and radio waves to produce detailed pictures of your child’s organs and internal structures. MRI differs from a CAT scan in that it doesn't use radiation. MRA (magnetic resonance angiography) is a form of MRI that uses contrast dye and focuses on the blood vessels.
An ultrasound is a safe and painless test that uses sound waves to create images of the internal structures of a certain part of your child’s body. This is done by pressing a plastic probe on the skin over the area being evaluated. Gel is placed on the skin beforehand to allow the probe to glide easily.
Nuclear medicine involves the use of a tracer agent, often given through an IV that settles in the area of your child’s body that needs to be examined. There, it gives off energy in the form of gamma rays. This energy can be detected by scanners and provide high-resolution images. Sometimes nuclear imaging is combined with other types of studies (for example, a CAT scan may be performed simultaneously) to give extremely high-quality images.
This imaging study is like a moving X-ray. It is used to view movement, either of a part of the body or of a contrast agent moving through the body. One of the most common uses of fluoroscopy is in the upper GI series. This is when your child drinks the contrast agent barium sulfate, which helps highlight the anatomy of the digestive tract as a series of X-rays monitor the liquid’s movement through the esophagus and stomach.
Interventional radiology is both a clinical and procedural branch of imaging. Our highly-trained team of experts uses image-guided techniques to diagnose and treat diseases in nearly every organ system. Capturing a real-time image helps guide the performance of very precise and less invasive treatments for children.
Our pediatric interventional radiologist serves as an essential part of larger interdisciplinary teams that may include orthopedics, neurology, and oncology, with all of our specialists working together to care for your child.
Medical Imaging That Puts Your Child's Safety First
At Nemours, imaging tests are only prescribed when appropriate and if the benefit outweighs the risks or potential risks of having a test performed. Our procedures and our state-of-the-art equipment are designed to use the lowest radiation dose possible while ensuring that we have the information we need to heal a child.
We have pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
How We Make Our Medical Imaging Kid-Friendly
When children enter our Imaging Commons area, they’ll discover an incredible 1,300-gallon aquarium designed to entertain families while they wait for their imaging studies. Stretching 16 feet in length, the eye-catching tank is home to a colorful variety of corals and marine life — including up to 60 large fish.
Our advanced imaging equipment is decorated with colorful stickers and our MRI scanners even come with MRI video equipment to help keep your child entertained with movies and shows during an imaging test.
We keep your child's comfort in mind during any kind of medical imaging test. That's why we use a team of specialists to get accurate results and to keep your child relaxed during the test.
Our team members include:
- pediatric radiologists
- X-ray technologists (techs)
- pediatric anesthesiologists and sedation doctors
- child life specialists (use age-appropriate techniques to minimize the fears)
You are also an important member of the team. We welcome your questions and your presence throughout testing. Family-centered care is crucial in helping your child feel at ease, getting the best imaging results, and making your child’s imaging experience a positive one.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.