Children who are overweight may have medical, behavioral, and genetic factors that contribute to weight gain. Nemours specialists in weight loss for kids provide evaluation and treatment for kids who are at an unhealthy weight. And we know weight loss for kids is more than a number on a scale; it’s about managing a medical condition, finding ways to deal with emotional issues, and learning healthy approaches to food, eating, and exercise that will last a lifetime.
Our pediatric weight loss program is focused on helping your family adopt long-term, sustainable lifestyle changes that can lead to significant improvements in your child’s health and well-being.
For example, encouraging smaller food portions, increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables, replacing screen time with physical activity and drinking water instead of sugary drinks are all small steps that add up on the road to weight loss for kids.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The Weight Management Program at Nemours Children’s Hospital provides provides comprehensive, personalized care to help with weight loss for kids and combat childhood obesity throughout Central Florida.
Our Healthy Choices clinic is a multi-disciplinary pediatric subspecialty clinic specializing in weight loss for kids 3 to 16 years old who are obese (BMI ≥ 95th percentile) or overweight (BMI ≥ 85th percentile) with associated medical conditions.
Our team of doctors, nurses, dietitians, exercise specialists, and counselors perform comprehensive medical, nutritional, fitness, and psychosocial assessments and then work with your family to negotiate healthy behavioral changes as well as help your child manage other conditions that can affect weight loss for kids. The team conducts ongoing research and community outreach projects.
We provide a comprehensive program of outpatient and specialty diagnostic and treatment services for weight loss for kids.
These services include:
- Identifying the best methods for improving your child’s healthy habits through consultations with our doctors, nurses, registered dietitians, exercise specialists, behavioral health specialists, and other health professionals.
- Behavioral and psychological assessments. If appropriate, these will include:
- behavior-based goal setting. This allows your child to set realistic, attainable goals in order to maintain motivation
- evaluation and treatment by behavioral health specialists to address individual and family issues, such as depression, anxiety, poor self-esteem, parenting, and family concerns
We’ll also provide related subspecialty care for more complex cases, including:
- gastroenterology (digestive health)
- endocrinology (hormones and growth)
- cardiology (heart care)
- pulmonology (lung care)
- orthopedics (bone and joint care)
- physical and rehabilitation medicine (physical therapy to improve muscle and joint function)
- nephrology (kidney care)
- adolescent medicine (care for preteens and teens)
We use a team approach to help your child and family make these changes. All of our team members have special expertise in weight loss for kids.
We’ll conduct an initial medical and lifestyle evaluation for every child who participates in the weight loss program. We will also evaluate your child for any weight-related medical problems, which may include:
- high cholesterol
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- orthopedic problems
- metabolic conditions
To help your child manage these conditions, we may prescribe medication. If necessary, we will refer your child to other specialists. Our team will work with you and your child to develop a personalized plan. Monthly visits are usually required as part of your child’s treatment plan.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in our patient's rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. Nemours also offers the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologists in the state, including those based at Nemours Children's Hospital.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.