Nemours’ pediatric allergists and immunologists are trained and experienced in diagnosing and treating asthma and allergies in children (from food allergies to hay fever). We also see kids with issues of the immune system (which attacks organisms and substances that invade body systems and can cause disease). Our goals are simple: to help your child feel better and give you the tools to manage your child’s condition at home.
Allergy & Immunology
Helping Kids With Asthma, Allergies & More
Conditions We Treat
Our pediatric allergists see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- allergies that affect the nose, eyes, stomach and/or intestines
- drug (medication) reactions and allergies
- eczema (an itchy rash, also called “atopic dermatitis”)
- hives (swollen, often itchy red bumps on the skin that appear suddenly)
- recurrent (ongoing or repeated) cold-like symptoms or infections
Allergy Testing We Offer
To help us figure out what might be going on, we may perform specific allergy testing such as:
- blood tests such as the IgE blood test that check for specific antibodies (cells made by the immune system in response to certain allergens — things that can cause an allergic reaction, such as pet dander, dust, pollen and foods)
- lung function tests (to see how the lungs are working) such as chest X-rays and spirometry (a device your child can breathe into to measure the amount and/or speed of air that’s inhaled and exhaled)
- patch testing (applying sticky patches, which each contain a possible allergen, to the skin and then checking the skin’s reaction 48 hours later)
- skin (scratch) testing (lightly scratching the skin with a potential allergen to see how the skin will react)
- tests for drug allergies (allergies to various medicines)
- tests that look at how the immune system is working overall
Why Choose Us
Our pediatric allergists are board-certified and fellowship-trained to provide the highest level of care for simple to complex conditions. We offer the latest in diagnostic testing and treatments — a full range of allergy and asthma testing services.
In addition to providing care, we’re teachers, authors and innovators — national leaders in our field. We’re also researchers — through studies and clinical trials, we’re always looking for new ways to improve treatment and offer care backed by the latest research.
And we’ll work closely with Nemours experts from any other specialty area needed to provide a long-term management plan built around your child’s exact needs. That may include otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat, or ENT doctors), pulmonologists (lung and breathing specialists), gastroenterologists (digestive system specialists) and/or others as needed.
Regional Allergy & Immunology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pediatric allergy and immunology care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
- asthma care team (run jointly with pulmonology) offering fully coordinated care and providing your family with the tools you need to successfully manage the disease
- certified asthma educators who work with families to create asthma treatment plans
- Web-based electronic medical records system accessible to Delaware school nurses, who (with your permission) can see your child’s plan of care and information about almost every visit to Nemours locations in Delaware — to help keep your child with asthma healthier and safer while they’re in school
- close partnerships with on-site doctors in more than 30 pediatric specialties at duPont Hospital for Children
- Nemours pediatric allergy and immunology expertise in New Jersey and Pennsylvania for added convenience
We offer pediatric allergy and immunology care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select satellite Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- asthma care team (run jointly with pulmonology), offering fully coordinated care and providing your family with the tools you need to successfully manage the disease
- close partnerships with on-site doctors in numerous subspecialties
- allergy testing individualized to your child’s specific needs based on their medical history
- Nemours pediatric allergy and immunology expertise available in multiple locations (Titusville, Melbourne, downtown Orlando and other satellite clinics planned for the future)
We offer pediatric allergy and immunology care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville (in collaboration with Wolfson Children’s Hospital) and select satellite Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- American Lung Association Asthma Clinical Research Center (ACRC) based at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville/University of Florida Consortium
- high-risk asthma program
- full pulmonary function testing to check how your child’s lungs are working
- cardiopulmonary exercise physiology laboratory (to measure how your child’s lungs work while exercising)