Cerebral palsy (CP) can affect a child’s muscle tone, movement and speech. Some children might walk a little awkwardly but don’t need special help. Others benefit from technology and assistive devices to help them move and communicate. At Nemours, our orthopedic surgeons, neurologists and other CP specialists are experts in diagnosing cerebral palsy in children. We’re here to help kids with CP from the start — and keep them thriving as they grow.
National Leaders in CP Treatment
Services We Offer
The right treatment can dramatically help kids living with CP. In addition to our team of CP specialists, many Nemours experts and departments may contribute to your child’s care. Depending on your child’s needs and location, our cerebral palsy services might include:
- assistive technology (to help kids get around, communicate and learn using custom wheelchairs, walkers and other devices)
- Child Life (to support your child with any stress and anxiety while in the hospital)
- developmental behavioral pediatrics (to help with your child’s physical, emotional, behavioral and social development needs)
- gait and motion analysis (high-tech cameras, sensors, pressure plates and computers that create a 3-D model of how your child walks)
- general pediatrics (pediatricians who manage your child’s overall health)
- hand therapy (to improve hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder skills)
- hip preservation, salvage and reconstruction (to maximize function and lessen pain and discomfort in kids with CP, who are prone to having hip problems)
- neurology (to treat conditions of the nerves and muscles or seizures, as well as support cognitive abilities like thinking, reading and focusing)
- neurosurgery (surgery on the brain, skull, spinal cord, spinal column and other parts of the nervous system)
- nutrition (to make sure your child is eating well as they grow)
- occupational therapy (to improve motor skills and hand-eye coordination)
- orthopedics (to manage issues with the bones, joints, muscles and nerves)
- orthotics (inserts, splints or braces to help your child’s movement)
- otolaryngology (to help with any problems in the ears, nose and throat)
- physical therapy (to help kids with walking and movement, including special stretches to limit contraction of the muscles)
- psychology (behavioral health) (to help your child cope with their feelings)
- rehabilitation medicine (for kids who need to work on mobility, functional skills and communication skills, or to manage the use of special pumps for children with muscle spasms)
- social work (to support you and your child in coping with any feelings or challenges, and to help with any improvements your child might need at school or at home)
- spasticity (constant muscle contaction) management (physicians from multiple specialties and physical therapists work together to help relax kids' rigid muscles)
- speech and language therapy (for kids with speech and language disorders or delays, and to help children breathe, talk, bite, chew and swallow food more easily)
- spinal surgery (for kids with curvatures of the spine, such as scoliosis, common in kids with CP)
- upper extremity (hand, wrist, arm and shoulder) treatment (splinting, specific physical and occupational therapy tehcniques, and specialized reconstructive surgery if necessary)
When children see many different specialists, our team can coordinate care and appointments. We help you group multiple appointments into the same day whenever possible.
Why Choose Us
Families come to Nemours because of our national reputation for diagnosing and treating all types of cerebral palsy in children. We’re known for providing excellent care and warm, personal attention. And, year after year, members of our CP team are recognized as "Best Doctors in America®."
Kids with CP grow and do their best when the whole family takes part in the child’s development and care. That’s why we include parents and other family members in your child’s treatment plans. Families also choose Nemours because we’re always looking for better ways to diagnose and care for conditions like CP. We stay on the leading edge of research, and are actively involved in studies and clinical trials.
Regional Cerebral Palsy Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer cerebral palsy treatment at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- regularly ranked among the top 10 children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report (duPont Hospital for Children)
- Cerebral Palsy Center — one of only a few medical centers in the Mid-Atlantic region that cares solely for children with cerebral palsy, and one of the largest CP progrmas in the country
- doctors known around the world for CP treatment and research, treating more than 3,000 children from across the globe every year
- advanced data to inform care, with one of the few computer-assisted pediatric Gait & Motion Analysis labs (providing detailed information on exactly how your child is walking, which muscles they’re using, etc.)
- bone metabolism program, to help kids maintain good bone density and prevent fractures, which is common in kids with CP — including vitamin and mineral levels, supplements and exercises to promote bone strength
- Nobel Prize-winning EOS imaging technology for the lowest dose of radiation possible to make medical imaging safer
- nursing excellence — our nursing program at duPont Hospital for Children earned Magnet status , the country’s highest nursing credential
- wheelchair clinic and assistive technology to help kids get around, communicate and learn
- state-of-the-art cast room and on-site brace fitting, orthotic and prosthetic shops
- pediatric outpatient therapy services program that’s one of the only in the region accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- physical medicine and rehabilitation (“PM&R” or “Rehab Medicine”) services, including certified occupational, physical and hand therapies
- indoor pediatric therapy pool (the largest of its kind in the tristate area)
- Ronald McDonald House of Delaware , right across from our hospital’s campus, for a home away from home during long hospital stays
We offer cerebral palsy treatment at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- neurologists and orthopedic surgeons with expertise in treating kids with CP
- physical medicine and rehabilitation (“PM&R” or “Rehab Medicine”) services, including occupational and physical therapies
- state-of-the-art casting, orthotic and prosthetic services on-site
- access, if needed, to other Nemours medical and surgical specialties
- Ronald McDonald House at Nemours Children’s Hospital , for an affordable home away from home during long hospital stays
- orthopedic surgeon and neurologist with expertise in treating kids with CP
- physical medicine and rehabilitation (“PM&R” or “Rehab Medicine”) services
- on-site casting, orthotic and prosthetic services
- access, if needed, to more than 30 other medical and surgical specialties
- close academic and clinical affiliations with with the University of Florida College of Medicine–Jacksonville and Mayo Clinic Florida