Our Emergency Department (ED) is fully equipped to handle all kinds of pediatric emergencies, including a variety of injuries and illnesses, in children from birth to age 18. We have full access to Nemours pediatric specialists, which means guidance for your child's complex injury or illness is just a phone call away.
For Information: (407) 567-4000
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
From the moment you arrive at the Pediatric Emergency Department at Nemours Children’s Hospital, our goal is to get your child in a room and assessed by our highly experienced Pediatric Emergency team as soon as possible — with no waiting.
An Emergency Department Designed by Families, for Families
Our Emergency Department was designed in partnership with our Family Advisory Council and their input is evident in both the child-friendly surroundings and in how our care is delivered.
You can expect:
- access to world-class pediatric medical and surgical specialists on call 24 hours a day
- immediate assessment and room assignment
- bedside registration
- 16 large, private, exam rooms where families can stay close to their child during tests and procedures
- 2 fully equipped major resuscitation rooms
- Child Life specialists who use play activities and other therapies to help minimize the stress of your child’s visit
Making Parents True Partners in Emergency Care
We know that any medical emergency involving children causes stress and worry both for the child and parent. That’s why we encourage you to be with your child throughout the emergency visit. Your presence and voice can make all the difference and your input is critical to helping us provide personalized care for
This family-centered approach not only helps you and your child feel better, it results in better outcomes. When families are involved, children have less anxiety and are more cooperative, which helps us to be able to provide the most effective care and treatment possible.
A Pediatric Emergency Team Dedicated to Your Child's Care
From the registered nurse who greets you in our ED lobby, to our pediatric emergency physicians, nurses, and paramedics, we are a team, collaborating to provide the very highest level of emergency care to your child and family. This team philosophy gives everyone a voice and ensures that we work together to coordinate care for your child in the best and most efficient way possible.
We’ve been fortunate enough to have some of the most forward thinking and highly trained pediatric emergency professionals from all over the country join us. What brings this remarkable group together is the promise — of treating every child as their own.
Our team includes:
- pediatric board-certified Emergency Medicine physicians
- pediatric emergency nurses
- pediatric advanced practice nurses (highly skilled nurse practitioners with pediatric emergency experience)
One of the benefits of bringing your child to Nemours Children’s Hospital is that, right on campus, we provide additional services geared toward children and families, including:
- pediatric radiology: Our comprehensive X-ray and medical imaging center is located right next to our pediatric ED. And our pediatric radiology specialists are committed to using the lowest radiation dose necessary to get an accurate image during an X-ray or any other type of medical imaging test.
- pediatric anesthesia: Whether providing anesthesia for surgery or sedation for tests and procedures, our focus is on your child’s comfort and the quality of your child’s recovery. We try to find innovative alternatives to traditional narcotics and choose medications with fewer side effects to help a child feel good and wake up clear-headed.
- pediatric surgical services: If your child needs surgery, it’s good to know that our skilled pediatric surgeons and specialized teams are on call 24 hours a day to provide advanced surgical services in areas ranging from general surgery (spacing) to neurosurgery.
- pathology: Using the latest generation of technology and equipment, our pathologists can quickly turn around lab tests and results.
- pediatric respiratory services: Experienced respiratory therapists provide breathing treatments, offer education, and perform regular breathing assessments during your child’s visit.
- social work: Our social workers can help your family with resource referrals and coordinating transportation.
If your child is going home after an emergency department visit, we’ll give you complete instructions about what to expect and when to call us.
We’ll also call you the day after you’re discharged to see how your child is doing. And we’ll provide details about the ED visit to your child’s primary care doctor through our sophisticated electronic health record, by fax, or phone.
More Hospital Services & Amenities