Medical science has made huge strides in treating epilepsy in children. Our pediatric neurologists and other specialists at Nemours work together, using the most effective, proven medications and treatments to help control and prevent seizures in kids. We treat all children as we would our own so they can do what kids do best: play, laugh and grow into the healthiest adults they can be.
Nemours neurology specialists have the skills, training and technology to evaluate your child’s seizures and the compassion to find ways to control epileptic seizures with the fewest possible side effects. Our epilepsy program specialists provide a plan of care that’s specially tailored for your child, using medication therapy as the main method of treating epilepsy in children.
Locations & Doctors
For Appointments: (904) 697-3600
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
New Patient Forms
- Patient Registration (PDF)
Returning Patient Forms
- Release of Information (PDF)
English | Spanish
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
- Surgery Fact Sheet (PDF)
The pediatric neurologists, neurophysiologists, and other specialists at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville provide comprehensive care in the evaluation and treatment epilepsy in children. We encourage kids with epilepsy to participate as fully as possible in school and all the other activities that help kids be kids, and so they can enjoy a childhood that’s as promising and playful as anyone else’s.
To provide the most complete care possible for your child, we partner with experts at the Pediatric Epilepsy Center at nearby Wolfson Children’s Hospital. In addition to traditional therapies, we provide an epilepsy surgery program that’s one of the only programs of its kind in Florida. The rarely-performed procedure isolates or removes the part of the brain that’s causing the seizures.
If your child is having seizures, it’s important to provide as much information as possible about the episode(s). A Nemours pediatric neurologist or other specialist will review this information and your child’s medical history, and perform a thorough neurological examination. A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), or other kind of scan may be needed, too. These can easily be arranged at Wolfson Children’s Hospital right next door to our clinic.
If your child is diagnosed with epilepsy, our goal will be to control the condition and minimize the impact of seizures on daily life. We treat all children as we would our own — so they can play, dream, and grow with the fewest possible disruptions.
No single treatment for epilepsy works for every child. So the neurological specialists at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville will consider all the unique factors that contribute to your child’s condition.
We may recommend one or more of these kinds of treatments:
- Anti-seizure medications: Most kids respond well to this kind of therapy. Finding just the right medication and dosage may involve some adjustments and fine-tuning.
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS): A small long-lasting battery device similar to a pacemaker is implanted in your child’s chest. A tiny wire connects to the vagus nerve, which leads to the brain. The device delivers short bursts of electricity at regular intervals, which may help reduce the frequency and severity of your child’s seizures. Implanting the VNS device requires an overnight stay at our neighboring partner, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, and can easily be arranged by our Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville neurology team.
- Epilepsy surgery: If other treatments don’t work for your child, the neurologists at our Jacksonville clinic, partnering with neurosurgeons at Wolfson Children’s Hospital, can evaluate your child for possible epilepsy surgery. Surgeons isolate or remove a small section of brain tissue, where the abnormal electrical surges, which cause the seizures, come from. The surgery can go a long way toward relieving or reducing the effects of seizures without impairing your child’s intellectual, reasoning, or other cognitive abilities. Download a fact sheet with more information about epilepsy surgery.
For more information about the epilepsy program at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville, or to make an appointment, call us at (904) 697-3600.