It’s common for kids to get a mild headache sometimes. But when headaches are severe or happen a lot, it might be a sign of an issue that needs to be addressed. We know it can be hard to see your child in any kind of pain. That’s why our teams work together to get to the root cause of the pain, and help you and your child prevent headaches and migraines from happening in the future.
Headaches & Migraines
Expert Diagnosis and Pain Relief for Kids
Types of Headaches in Children We Treat
Two of the most common types of headaches in children are:
- tension headaches, which can cause a kind of constant, dull, aching pain. It may feel like someone’s putting pressure on the front, back or both sides of the head.
- migraines, which can cause a pounding, throbbing sensation on one or both sides of the head. And symptoms often last longer — usually anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours. Migraines can also make your child see spots, or feel dizzy or nauseated.
Headaches and migraines can sometimes be caused by things like:
- a head injury
- certain medications or foods
- dehydration or hunger (which can be caused by skipping meals)
- eye strain (often from staring at a screen for too long)
- loud music
- sleep problems
- smoking (or secondhand smoke)
- strong odors
- too much caffeine or caffeine withdrawal
- vision problems
- your child’s menstrual cycle (period)
Headache & Migraine Services We Offer
Treatment goes beyond just controlling headache and migraine symptoms. Our trained pediatric neurologists and specialty-trained advanced practice nurses (APNs) take a full-service approach to diagnosing and treating headaches and migraines in children. That means we will:
- come up with a plan to help relieve painful symptoms
- look for any triggers (activities or substances) that might be causing the headaches
- work to prevent future headaches from happening again
Why Choose Us for Headache & Migraine Care
At Nemours, our goal is to help your child manage the pain and get back to doing the things they love. In addition to treatment with medication, we may recommend Healing Touch, biofeedback, stress reduction techniques, or other kinds of integrative medicine therapies. We’ll also educate your child — and your family — about lifestyle changes that may reduce the intensity and frequency of your child’s headaches.
Regional Headache & Migraine Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pediatric headache and migraine care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations. We also work with other specialists to care for kids in the Integrated Pain and Wellness Program. This program focuses on overall wellness and combines the expertise of doctors from multiple specialties and a variety of therapies to meet your child’s physical, mental and emotional needs.