Neuroblastoma is a rare cancer in children where tumors develop from a type of nerve cell. Although rare, it's the most common type of cancer in infants, and it’s often found when a child is two years old (or younger). Because neuroblastoma sometimes starts in the abdomen, doctors may even diagnose it during prenatal ultrasounds. Our care teams have extensive experience with neuroblastoma — and we work together to create treatment plans that meet the individual needs of your child and family.
Experienced, Supportive Care for This Rare Cancer
Services We Offer for Neuroblastoma
Neuroblastoma treatment is based on a child’s age and how the cancer develops. We offer a variety of diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending on your location, including:
- bone marrow aspiration and biopsy for diagnosis and testing
- chemotherapy (cancer medicines) prepared by pediatric specialists and pharmacists
- endocrinology since neuroblastoma can affect organs that produce hormones
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers help us diagnose neuroblastoma and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born
- genetic testing to help with diagnosis and treatment
- immunotherapy helps the body’s own immune system destroy tumors
- integrative medicine includes non-medical therapies like massage, yoga, water therapy
- palliative care helps with symptoms and offers support for your child and family
- pathologists diagnose neuroblastoma with blood tests, urine tests, and other lab work
- radiation therapy to target tumors
- radiology (medical imaging) such as X-rays, CT scans and MRIs
- registered dietitians help with nutrition support during chemotherapy and beyond
- surgery by a board-certified pediatric general surgeons to remove tumors
Why Choose Us for Neuroblastoma Treatment
Our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (or “NCCBD”) is a multisite team of pediatric oncology experts and we work closely, even across geographical lines, to treat neuroblastoma. At Nemours, in addition to being a Children’s Oncology Group (COG) member institution, we’re also one of only three pediatric National Cancer Institute-designated Community Oncology Research Programs (NCORPs) in the nation. We also offer:
- collaborations with our affiliates to offer the most advanced treatment options
- monitoring and follow-up cancer care including late-effects, other specialty care and teen survivor programs
- supportive services for your child and family today, and for the long term
Regional Neuroblastoma Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams for neuroblastoma differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete retinoblastoma care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We collaborate with the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at Christiana Care (in Newark, Del.) and the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University (in Philadelphia).
Our Palliative and Supportive Care Program located at duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) provides compassionate care for families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions.
Our Nemours Partners for Perinatal Management is located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children since, in some cases, neuroblastoma can be detected by ultrasound while a baby is still in the womb.
We offer complete neuroblastoma care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Center for Fetal Care is available at multiple locations throughout Central Florida since, in some cases, neuroblastoma can be detected by ultrasound while a baby is still in the womb.
We offer proton therapy as part of our collaboration with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).
Neuroblastoma research studies between Nemours Children’s Hospital oncologic surgeons and University of Central Florida’s NanoScience Technology Center use nanoparticles for treatment-resistant, high-risk tumor cells.
We offer complete neuroblastoma care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Nemours pediatric specialists provide the cancer care at our affiliate, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
We’re also part of an integrated pediatric program with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).