Our Adolescent Medicine & Pediatric Gynecology team is specially trained to care for girls and boys through adolescence (the teen years). Our group combines the expertise of both adolescent medicine physicians and pediatric gynecologists. So we’re uniquely qualified to evaluate and treat any health concerns related to puberty. That means we know just how to speak and listen to kids and teens — and answer their questions as their bodies and brains develop.
Adolescent Medicine & Pediatric Gynecology
Experts in Teens’ Health
Conditions We Treat
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- contraceptive (birth control) care
- drug use/abuse (including medication-assisted treatment)
- early or delayed puberty
- fertility concerns for cancer survivors
- gender and sexuality concerns
- human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine
- medical care for children in foster care
- menstrual cycle problems (irregular, absent, painful or heavy periods)
- menstrual suppression (the delay of monthly periods) for medically complex girls
- ovarian cysts and pelvic masses
- pediatric gynecology surgical services (when needed)
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS, a hormonal disorder that causes girls to have enlarged ovaries with small cysts, as well as periods that last too long or don’t happen regularly)
- prepubertal vaginal bleeding (vaginal bleeding in girls too young for periods)
- sexually transmitted infections (STIs, also called sexually transmitted diseases or STDs)
- vaginal or uterine anomalies (abnormalities in the vagina or uterus)
Services We Offer
We offer a variety of treatment services, which may vary depending on the condition or location, including:
- birth control, abstinence and contraceptive counseling
- intrauterine devices (IUDs — small, often T-shaped birth control devices inserted into the uterus) for medical reasons (e.g., heavy bleeding, cramps)
- pregnancy testing, diagnosis and referrals for services
- rapid HIV testing
- screening evaluations for substance (drug or alcohol) abuse
- sexuality/reproduction health education and adolescent sexual health counseling (including for kids and teens with special needs)
- smoking cessation (counseling and treatment to stop smoking)
Why Choose Us
Our Adolescent Medicine & Pediatric Gynecology team is specially trained in caring for girls with gynecological concerns (from birth through adolescence), as well as male teens with concerns. And, if your child or teen also needs to see other Nemours specialists (like a psychologist or nutritionist for an eating disorder), we can help arrange appointments and work closely with the doctors to make sure your child gets the personalized care they need. We’ll also offer guidance about transitioning your teen’s health care to adult caregivers when the time comes.
Regional Adolescent Medicine & Pediatric Gynecology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer Adolescent Medicine & Pediatric Gynecology services at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics satellite locations.
- the only adolescent medicine practice in Delaware
- the only children’s hospital in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania with pediatric and adolescent gynecologists trained specifically to help young and teen girls
- fellowship-trained pediatric and adolescent gynecologists providing both medical and surgical care
- diverse staff of all-female providers (helpful for making girls more comfortable, especially for pelvic exams)