If your child has to stay in the hospital, Nemours has a dedicated group of physicians called "pediatric hospitalists" who are trained and experienced in inpatient care. They will manage and oversee your child’s care during hospitalization, from admission through discharge. Our doctors and advanced practice providers deliver around-the-clock coverage in coordination with various subspecialists. And, since our hospitalists work at our own hospitals as well as those in our communities, you don’t have to travel far to find expert Nemours hospital care for kids.
Special Care for Inpatient Stays
Conditions We Treat
Nemours’ pediatric hospitalists work as a team with pediatric nurses to treat hospitalized children with acute (sudden) or chronic (ongoing) medical problems requiring inpatient care.
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- acute headaches
- bronchiolitis (a common illness of the respiratory tract caused by an infection that affects tiny airways — the bronchioles — that lead to the lungs)
- common and rare diseases that require hospitalization
- croup (a viral infection that causes a "barking" cough)
- fever in newborns
- gastroenteritis (a virus that’s also called the “stomach flu”)
- jaundice (yellow color of the skin and whites of the eyes caused by excess bilirubin in the blood)
- medically complex children with acute illnesses
- serious bacterial infections of the skin, bones, brain, urinary tract, lungs and other organs
Services We Offer
Pediatric hospitalists are completely devoted to caring for hospitalized infants, children and teens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As your child’s attending (supervising) providers, we offer comprehensive inpatient services and work with your child’s primary care physician to ensure seamless continuity of care from hospital to home. Our job is to:
- oversee your child’s care or work in partnership with your attending physician/pediatric specialist
- deliver subspecialist hospital care — helping to care for kids with all kinds of needs, as well as offering specialized knowledge of conditions that can send children to the hospital
- coordinate care with other subspecialists in other divisions like infectious disease, neurology, surgery and more
- keep your primary care physician informed during and after your stay
- help you identify a primary care physician if you don’t have one
- provide a safety net to make sure all patients have high-value care when they need hospitalization
- be at the front lines, able to identify potential areas for improvement
- act as a consistent presence within the hospital, able to be available at patients’ bedsides whenever needed
Why Choose Us
Whatever brings your child to us for an overnight stay (or many); our goal is to provide top-quality, coordinated inpatient hospital care from the time you check in until you’re ready to head back home. Nemours hospitalists are consistently ranked among the Best Doctors in America® . Teaching tomorrow’s pediatric health care leaders, we also actively train medical students and residents in pediatric hospital care and the importance of technology in delivering safe, excellent care.
Regional Hospitalist Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
- inpatient hospital care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.), with access to specialists in more than 30 specialties
- Nemours pediatric hospital care closer to home, thanks to collaborations with community hospitals in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- inpatient hospital care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando), with access to specialists in more than 30 specialties
- Nemours pediatric hospital care closer to home, thanks to collaborations with community hospitals in Florida