Nemours Pediatric Intensive Care Units (PICUs) provide life-saving treatments to the most seriously ill children. Our highly trained critical care specialists use state-of-the art technologies to monitor and look after children with a wide range of illnesses. We’re there when your child needs us the most.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
Expert Care for Critically Ill Kids
Conditions We Treat
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending on the location and the care teams a child needs. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- acute renal (kidney) failure (when the kidneys don’t work well enough to get rid of wastes or make enough red blood cells)
- airway obstruction (when a child’s airways are blocked)
- blood- and cancer-related complications
- circulatory shock (a medical emergency when the body’s organs and tissues don’t get enough blood and oxygen)
- diabetic ketoacidosis (a serious complication of diabetes when the body makes high levels of blood acids called ketones)
- liver failure (a dangerous condition when the liver no longer does its job of getting rid of toxins and helping with digestion)
- neurological problems
- neuromuscular disease
- respiratory failure (when the breathing system isn’t working)
- sepsis and septic shock (when an infection overwhelms the body, causing life-threatening problems like organ failure)
- severe electrolyte abnormalities (when electrolytes – chemicals that help the body’s cells – are so badly out of balance that a child’s life is in danger)
- solid organ or bone marrow transplant support
- severe poisoning
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive PICU services. These vary depending on each child’s location and care needs:
- round-the-clock intensive care and life-support technologies
- respiratory therapy, including equipment for children who can’t breathe on their own
- dialysis and blood filtration processes
- pain management, sedation, medication withdrawal and other advanced programs
- monitoring systems, including EEG (brain activity monitoring) and EKG (heart monitoring)
- laboratory services
- physical therapy
- specialized critical care transport teams and equipment
- child life specialists
- social work
- pastoral and spiritual care
Why Choose Us
At Nemours, you can rely on a team of intensive care experts who specialize in treating children. Our doctors are board-certified in critical care medicine and our experienced nurses are stationed near every patient room to provide immediate care 24 hours a day.
Medical expertise is just part of your child’s overall care at Nemours. We invest in advanced technologies to give children their best chance for healing. To complement our high-tech approach, our PICU teams know how to make a child’s stay as comforting as possible.
We make sure you and your family are well taken care of too. Your care team will explain your child’s diagnosis and treatment, discuss all the options, and keep you involved in creating the best treatment plan for your child.
Regional Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- integrated team of highly trained physicians, advanced practice nurses, registered nurses and other expert care care staff
- close access to other Nemours specialties, including cardiology, orthopedics, stem cell and solid organ transplantation, neurology, genetics and rehabilitative services
- referral and transport from other regional hospitals, including Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) transport (our own specialized life-support services that take critically ill children to duPont Hospital for Children)
- laboratory, preclinical and clinical trials of evolving therapies to maintain a state-of-the-art approach to critical care
- high level of excellence, as demonstrated by our academic and clinical relationships with Christiana Care Health System and Thomas Jefferson University School of Medicine (we also offer a highly regarded Critical Care Fellowship Program)
- private rooms where you can stay with your child
We offer Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- integrated team of highly trained physicians, registered nurses and other expert care staff
- close access to other Nemours specialties, including interventional radiology, pulmonology, rheumatology, orthopedics, neurology, genetics, cardiology and rehabilitative services
- high level of excellence, as demonstrated by our academic relationships with the University of Central Florida, located within the Lake Nona Medical City
- advanced child safety and monitoring, including special security bands and a computer monitoring system
- 10 large single-patient rooms with sleep accommodations for parents and a spacious bathroom, wireless internet access, and flat-screen TVs, so you can stay with your child in privacy and comfort — we also offer a number of double rooms for families with twins or siblings with multiple conditions
We offer PICU care at Wolfson Children’s Hospital, Jacksonville through our collaboration.
- 20-bed PICU at Wolfson Children’s Hospital
- private intensive care rooms monitored around the clock
- centrally located nursing stations ensure our critical care staff is close to each patient’s room for one-on-one care
- high level of excellence, as demonstrated by our educational relationships with the Mayo School of Medicine and the University of Florida