Because pediatric lymphedema can lead to infection in the affected limb, it’s important to diagnose and treat it early. At Nemours, our dedicated team of specialists is experienced in treating children with lymphedema.
Lymphedema is swelling in the arms or legs caused by an accumulation of lymph fluid (the clear, watery fluid that carries protein molecules, salts, glucose, urea, other substances through the body). The condition is typically caused by a blockage in the lymphatic system that prevents proper drainage of this fluid.
Primary lymphedema occurs when lymphatic vessels are missing or impaired. Secondary lymphedema happens when lymph vessels are damaged or lymph nodes are removed. Children can be born with the condition or, in some cases, can develop it in puberty (known as praecox) or adulthood (tarda).
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington
Locations & Doctors
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Support Service for Overnight Stays
- Ronald McDonald House of Delaware: a safe, free, family-centered home away from home when your child is sick and needs to be hospitalized
At the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, we treat congenital and acquired lymphedema. Our pediatric lymphedema treatment program offers the expertise of a wide array of medical and allied health professionals, including:
- radiology (medical imaging)
- physical medicine and rehabilitation
- pediatric surgery
- behavioral health
In addition to various evaluation, counseling, and lymphedema therapy services, we’re pleased to offer the Wright linear pump — a noninvasive, state-of-the-art device that uses programmable pressure to treat fluid accumulation disorders, including pediatric lymphedema.
Whatever kind of lymphedema your child has, know that at Nemours we do whatever it takes to give your child the very best, most compassionate treatment possible. We treat every child as we would our own — your child, our promise.