Our pediatric neurologists provide comprehensive treatment and care for children with nearly every childhood neurological condition or brain injury. Kids from across the world, from the tiniest newborns to the oldest teens, come to Nemours for our world-class skills and expertise. With state-of-the-art technologies and seasoned experience, we also can diagnose babies still in the womb, and provide a plan of care for after they’re born.
Expert Kids' Brain & Nervous System Care
Conditions We Treat
Nemours neurologists treat disorders involving the information signals sent from children’s brains throughout the body, which can affect their movement, learning, behavior, emotions and more. When something goes wrong, because of a health condition or injury, our pediatric neurologists work with other Nemours specialists to create a personalized plan of care, designed to help each child reach their full potential.
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- ataxias (lack of muscle control)
- brain tumors
- cerebral palsy
- concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- developmental delays
- epilepsy and seizures
- headaches and migraines
- hypotonia (muscle weakness caused by neurological problems)
- learning and language disorders
- muscle and nerve disorders
- neurocutaneous syndromes (tumors in the nervous system such as neurofibromatosis and tuberous sclerosis)
- neuromuscular disorders, including muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis (MS), anterior lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gherig’s Disease) and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
- neuropathy (nerve pain)
- sleep disorders
- Tourette syndrome and other tic disorders
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive services, which may vary depending upon the condition and location:
- clinical trials of promising new therapies
- electroencephalogram (EEG) to measure brain waves (for diagnosing and monitoring kids with a variety of conditions)
- electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies to measure the response of muscles and nerves to electrical activity
- immunoglobulin (IVIG) therapy to help treat kids with multiple sclerosis (MS) and other conditions that affect nerve fibers and muscles
- intravenous (IV) therapy to relieve migraine headaches
- lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to help kids with migraines and other neurological disorders
- polysomnography (sleep studies) for children with sleep disorders
Why Choose Us
At Nemours, we offer full-service neurological care that reflects the most advanced technology for diagnosis and treatment. Our large team of board-certified pediatric neurologists and neuropsychologists work together with other related specialists to give your child comprehensive, compassionate, family-centered care. And we’re constantly researching new and improved treatments, particularly for children with epilepsy, autism and spinal muscular atrophy. We’re always looking for improved ways to give kids the best possible care.
Regional Pediatric Neurology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer comprehensive pediatric neurological care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We’re especially proud of our extensive imaging and navigational equipment, including the Katzin Diagnostic & Research PET/MR Center at duPont Hospital for Children. We’re able to pinpoint the origin of seizure activity in the brain using cutting-edge, brain-mapping imaging technology (positron emission tomography with magnetic resonance, or PET/MR). We’re the nation’s first pediatric hospital to use the PET/MR with a focus on brain disorders, particularly epilepsy. This helps as many as 90 percent of kids become seizure-free.
Our care also includes:
- board-certified neurologists frequently named among the Best Doctors in America®
- general and specialized neurology services
- customized treatment plans
- academic medical center for leading-edge care
- Swank Center for Neuro-Orthopaedics advances the care of children with cerebral palsy and other neuro-orthopedic conditions
- epilepsy treatment in collaboration with neurosurgery and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- perinatal testing and consultations to diagnose fetal (in the womb) problems during pregnancy and create a plan of care, if needed, for after birth
We offer comprehensive pediatric neurological care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select satellite Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- world-class facilities featuring the most advanced diagnostic techniques and equipment available
- customized treatment plans based on research and best practices
- strong, meaningful relationships with community primary care doctors
- pediatric neurological programs, some of which are unique to Central Florida and the Southeast, have helped kids from all over the world lead happy, healthy lives
- Muscular Dystrophy Care Center is the only one in Central Florida certified and approved by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)
- some of the most accomplished pediatric spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) specialists in the world; one of only a handful of locations in the world approved for participation in certain SMA clinical trials
- brachial plexus and peripheral nerve injury evaluation and treatment program (the only comprehensive pediatric program like it in Central Florida)
- one of the only pediatric pain management programs in the country, helping kids with acute (temporary) or chronic (ongoing) pain
- Concussion Center, with specialists educating local coaches, trainers, teachers and parents to raise awareness about concussion dangers; care includes a team that evaluates and, if needed, treats concussions to help kids gradually and safely ease back into normal activities
- pediatric specialists named Best Doctors in America® , year after year
- close collaboration with specialists at Wolfson Children’s Hospital, University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville, UF Health/Shands Hospital, Mayo Clinic Florida and UF Health/Shands Jacksonville
- advanced diagnostic imaging testing at the Walter and Michelle Stys Neuroscience Institute , a five-bed facility within Wolfson Children’s Hospital
- epilepsy surgery program (one of the only of its kind in Florida) that includes a rarely-performed procedure which isolates or removes the part of the brain causing the seizures
- Muscular Dystrophy Program approved by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)