At Nemours, we take a personalized approach for children ages 3 to 16 who are at an unhealthy weight or at risk of childhood obesity and its related conditions. Our large pediatric weight management team works together with your family to help your child make healthy lifestyle choices and changes. We give you the tools you need to give your child the best lifestyle and nutritional options. With one of the longest-standing kids’ weight management programs in the country, we’ve learned which healthy habits work best to lose weight and how to make them last.
Helping Kids Live Healthier
Services We Offer
Though compassionate counseling, we help your child or teen focus on setting goals and targeting behaviors they can change. Our program has been highly effective in helping kids and families develop healthy habits and maintain weight loss over time. Families participate in a series of visits combined with continued efforts at home, through “homework” the care team and your family agree upon together.
We offer a variety of services, which may vary depending on the condition or location, including:
- behavior-based goal setting (helps set realistic goals to stay motivated)
- coordinated care with surgeons to provide weight loss (bariatric) surgery for teens who qualify (those who are 100 or more pounds over their ideal body weight, have tried but failed to lose weight, and face serious medical problems)
- exercise evaluation and personal training
- help to create, track and keep following healthy habits (for eating, activity, sleep and mental health)
- mental health evaluation and counseling (addresses issues such as depression, anxiety, poor self-esteem, parenting and family concerns)
- nutritional counseling and education (looks at what and how your child eats, and offers recommendations for better options)
Why Choose Us
At our pediatric weight management practices, 60 percent of children lose weight and continue to lose it within six months of the first visit. Families may also choose us for their child’s pediatric weight management care because of our:
- Coordinated appointments to help families receive the many services we offer in a way that’s helpful and convenient
- Combined medical and surgical bariatric program, with doctors and surgeons working together to support teens who qualify for weight loss (bariatric) surgery.
- Well-rounded team of experts. Depending on your child’s needs, your care team may include pediatric weight management doctors, registered dietitians, exercise specialists (exercise physiologists and/or physical therapists), health coaches, mental health counselors and/or child psychologists.
- Access to more than 30 additional specialties if needed. We work together as a team with all of your child’s providers.
- Research and clinical trial opportunities. Our research includes innovative activities like using social media for diabetes support.
- Passion about — and dedication to — promoting children’s wellness through healthy eating and physical activity. Our programing reaches beyond our walls and into our communities.
Regional Pediatric Weight Management Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We also use telemedicine (online doctor visits) in our primary care practices so that you can get care and counseling with our specialists close to home. In other words, you’d go to an exam room at your primary care office, but would see one of our weight management providers on a screen, rather than in person. That means you don’t need to drive far to get our specialist follow-ups and care.
Our patients can also get health coaching through telemedicine (online doctor visits). That means you can schedule a virtual visit through your computer or a free app on your mobile device so you can see a provider wherever you are. That means you don’t need to drive to get our specialist follow-ups, care and coaching.