Over the past few decades, the childhood obesity epidemic has made it more important than ever for children to be screened for risk factors of adult heart disease. Our Nemours pediatric preventive cardiology experts can evaluate and offer guidance for kids of all ages dealing with conditions that could put them at risk for heart problems, such as obesity and diabetes.
Children’s eating, exercising and lifestyle habits today can have a huge impact, positive and negative, on their health down the road. Pinpointing and addressing possible problems early on can keep kids from having big health issues (such as strokes, heart attacks and heart disease) as adults.
That’s where our Nemours preventive cardiology experts come in. We evaluate and offer guidance for kids of all ages dealing with conditions that could put them at risk for heart issues (especially atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries) including:
- weight problems or obesity
- high blood pressure (also called hypertension)
- high (elevated) cholesterol
Our experts can perform a complete cardiovascular risk evaluation and if your child is at risk, develop a personalized management plan that includes practical ways (like changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle) to reduce your child’s likelihood of future cardiovascular disease. And our preventive cardiologists work along with your child’s primary care doctor to help your child grow into a healthy adult.
New JerseySpecialty Care
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Expert pediatric cardiologists from Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando come to the Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Lake Mary to provide preventive heart care for kids with, or at risk for, future cardiovascular problems such as obesity/weight problems, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Our board-certified cardiologists make it easy for Seminole County families to receive high-quality pediatric specialty care from Nemours, closer to home.
No matter where your child receives care at Nemours, your medical team (including your primary care provider) can access your child’s medical history, test results and visit notes anytime through our award-winning electronic health record system.
You can also view parts of your child's health records, communicate with your Nemours care team, make appointments, request prescription refills and more through our MyNemours online patient portal.
The Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Lake Mary offers some medical tests on site. If your child needs additional tests, interventional radiology services, surgery or an overnight hospital stay, we will refer you to Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando where your cardiologist and medical care team will take good care of your family and make the experience as easy and stress-free as possible.
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services at Nemours Children’s Hospital. Our unique services include:
- Interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- Neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
The Nemours Commitment to Family-Centered Care
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. Because many of the children we see have chronic illnesses that require repeated visits, we build strong relationships with our families that foster respect, dignity and collaboration. We’re also committed to educating children and families about the medical condition, and how best to manage it. Our goal is to get your child back to the business of being a kid as quickly as possible.