A pediatric prosthetic is an artificial device that replaces and helps children regain function in a missing body part like an arm or leg. Modern prosthetics (also called “prostheses”) are made with advanced, lightweight technologies that often allow kids to do nearly everything they would usually do with natural limbs, like participate in sports.
Helping Kids Move and Be Their Best
At Nemours, our certified pediatric prosthetists (specialists in fitting prostheses) understand how children grow and develop physically, emotionally and socially. Our goal is to help every child move and feel their best — and lead an active, independent life.
Conditions We Treat With Prosthetic Devices
We provide individualized care for each child who could benefit from a prosthetic, whether they were born without a certain body part or lost it due to illness or injury. We have special expertise and experience working with children with a wide range of conditions like limb deformities. Our experts create prosthetic devices for the lower extremities (foot, above and below the knee) and upper extremities (fingers, hands, above and below the elbow).
Prosthetic Services We Offer
We use the latest technologies to measure, make and fit prosthetic devices for children. And children’s rapid growth often means their prostheses will need to be rechecked often. So we provide thorough, ongoing follow-up prosthetic care.
Because children who need a prosthetic will often need coordinated care from other medical areas, you’ll have access to our entire team of Nemours experts and specialists, including:
Why Choose Us
At Nemours, we work with our onsite doctors and surgeons to fit the ideal prosthetic and refit it over time as your child grows. Our certified prosthetic experts strive to make sure your child feels as comfortable and mobile as possible at every age and stage. We want to help your child not just function, but thrive with each new device.
Regional Prosthetic Care Highlights
Depending upon the location you visit, our comprehensive programs and services may include:
We offer offer full-service pediatric prosthetic care and on-site orthotics and prosthetics shops at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.). Our program is one of the largest of its kind on the East Coast.
- regularly ranked one of the top 10 children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report
- gait and motion analysis lab, which uses a computer to capture a 3D model of your child’s walk
- Pediatric Engineering Research Lab (PERL), working with biomedical engineers and students to research new devices that can help children with orthopedic disorders and limb loss
- wheelchair clinic and assistive technology to help kids get around, communicate and learn
- pediatric outpatient therapy services program that’s one of the only in the region accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- indoor aquatic therapy pool
- certified hand, occupational, physical and speech/language therapists
We offer full-service pediatric prosthetic care and on-site orthotics and prosthetics shops at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- advanced wheelchair and assistive technology services to help kids get around, communicate and learn
- pediatric pain management services (led by a board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist) unique to our area
- advanced radiology (imaging) services including fetal diagnostics
- one of only a few multispecialty pediatric inpatient rehabilitation programs in all of Florida — and the only one in Central Florida