Ptosis (also called "droopy eyelid") is when the upper eyelid droops down. It may droop just a little, or it may cover half the eye or more. Ptosis (pronounced "toe-sis") can block kids' vision. Some children are born with droopy eyelid or it may show up later. At Nemours, our pediatric eye specialists are trained to detect ptosis and provide expert treatment for kids.
Ptosis (Droopy Eyelid)
Kids' Eye Care Experts
Ptosis Services We Offer
We offer complete diagnostic and treatment services for children with ptosis. Our services for droopy eyelid may vary depending on the location you visit and the doctor your child sees:
- an eye exam, performed by one of our ophthalmologists (doctors who specialize in eye surgery and care)
- tests to see if your child’s eyes can look in the same direction when the eyelid isn't blocking one
- treatment like prescription eyeglasses or surgery to tighten the muscle that lifts the eyelid. Most kids can go home the same day of surgery.
Why Choose Us for Ptosis Care
Nemours eye doctors are board-certified and fellowship-trained at nationally recognized institutions. That means we can provide the highest level of surgical and medical treatments for droopy eyelid and other eye problems in children. Many of the physicians on our team are recognized as “Best Doctors in America® ” and “Top Doctors” in the area. We perform state-of-the-art operations, when appropriate, to treat and repair kids' eyes.
We’re also active in research — working to find new and better ways to treat children’s eye problems. For kids with multiple health needs, we work together as a team. So we can coordinate your visits with multiple doctors on the same day, in the same place.
Regional Ptosis Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.), we offer complete pediatric eye services and care for kids with ptosis.
- medical and surgical care from fellowship-trained, pediatric ophthalmologists who put kids and their families at the very center of our care
- special sensitivity to kids with developmental or neurodevelopmental conditions (like autism) and the challenges and anxiety they may have during eye exams
- part of a multicenter collaborative network — working with hundreds of children's eye care experts nationwide in the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, to add to and learn from the latest research on eye disorders
We offer full-service ptosis care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- ophthalmologist and certified orthoptist (eye movement and diagnostic specialist) trained and equipped to diagnose and treat droopy eyelid and other vision problems in kids of all ages, including those with developmental disabilities and physical limitations
- Child Life specialist to provide play and creative therapies and distraction for kids during exams and treatments
- community vision screening program, working with our Healthy Choices Clinic and the Nemours Florida Prevention Initiative — offered to preschools and Head Start programs in Seminole County, Kissimmee and other areas of Central Florida
- care team that delivers complete eye care for children — ophthalmologists, experienced eye technicians and an optometrist (who provides services similar to ophthalmologists, but doesn't perform surgery)
- part of a multicenter research network (the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group), working with hundreds of kids' eye care experts nationwide to research eye disorders
- special training program developed by our pediatric eye experts to teach primary care doctors how to perform effective eye exams for children from birth to age 5