Scoliosis is when the bones of the spine curve from side to side instead of being straight. If the curve gets large enough, it can be painful and cause problems. Nemours orthopedic surgeons and other scoliosis specialists have the experience and skills to diagnose and treat scoliosis as your child grows.
Fixing Life’s Curves
Services We Offer
Nemours has a strong reputation for excellence in scoliosis care, so we’re able to attract the best experts. Our scoliosis teams offer a full range of services, including:
- diagnosis and evaluation of all types of scoliosis
- regular check-ups and X-rays to see if curves are increasing
- bracing to help prevent curves from getting worse
- physical therapy to shape and strengthen the spine
- scoliosis surgery for kids with severe curves
Our team includes specialists from many different fields such as:
- medical imaging (radiology)
- occupational therapy
- physical therapy
- rehabilitation medicine (physical medicine and rehabilitation)
Scoliosis treatment and support services may vary depending on the location.
Why Choose Us
Families bring their children to Nemours because we’ve led the way in diagnosing, treating and researching scoliosis for more than 50 years. We even invented one of the most common braces used around the world to treat scoliosis — the Wilmington Brace, designed at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del. We also participate in ongoing studies and clinical trials to look for better ways to diagnose and treat scoliosis and other orthopedic conditions. And, year after year, many on our team are recognized as "Best Doctors in America®" .
Regional Scoliosis Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
At the Spine and Scoliosis Center, we offer scoliosis surgery and treatment at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- regularly ranked among the top 10 children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report (duPont Hospital for Children)
- only pediatric rehabilitation program in the greater Philadelphia region accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- one of the best-known pediatric orthopedic practices in the nation and the world
- nationally recognized scoliosis/spinal deformities program
- safer medical imaging through Nobel Prize-winning EOS imaging technology that delivers far less radiation than conventional X-rays and CT scans
- one of the first pediatric hospitals in the country to use the innovative “MAGnetic Expansion Control” (“MAGEC”) spine-straightening technology, greatly reducing the number of times young kids need surgery
- state-of-the-art operating rooms with intraoperative imaging (radiology tests during the operation that allow our surgeons to see inside the body), LED lighting and high-definition cameras — to give our surgeons the best possible visibility
- on-site brace fitting, orthotic and prosthetic shops
- certified occupational therapists
- certified physical therapists trained in the Schroth Method (special exercises for children with scoliosis)
- one of the nation’s largest pediatric training programs for orthopedic residents and fellows
- participants in national organizations (the Setting Scoliosis Straight Foundation , Scoliosis Research Society and the Children’s Spine Foundation )
We offer scoliosis surgery and treatment at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- decades of experience in treating kids with scoliosis
- state-of-the-art imaging services
- on-site casting, orthotic and prosthetic services
- physical medicine and rehabilitation (“PM&R” or “Rehab Medicine”) services and therapies, including occupational and physical therapies
- close academic and clinical affiliations with the University of Florida College of Medicine–Jacksonville and Mayo Clinic Florida