Sickle cell disease is a condition that causes problems with red blood cells — instead of round discs, they look like crescent moons or sickles. It’s a genetic condition (can be passed from parent to child) so we often see new or expecting parents. Some sickle cell treatments can begin early — even while your baby is still in the womb. Our hematology experts and care teams in the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders work together to address the needs of your child and family as you learn to manage sickle cell. We give your child a medical home for preventive care, and coordinate the specialists you need each step of the way.
Sickle Cell Disease
Recognized Excellence With Supportive Services
Services We Offer for Sickle Cell Disease
Sickle cell treatment depends on your child’s age, sickle cell type and symptoms. We offer a variety of diagnostic and medical services, which vary depending on your location, including:
- blood and bone marrow transplants (also called “stem cell transplants”)
- cardiology by pediatric experts in diagnostic and preventive heart care
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers may diagnose sickle cell during pregnancy
- genetic counseling can help with diagnosis and family planning
- medical imaging (radiology) tests like a CT scan, MRI or X-ray
- hydroxyurea therapy, which may be started while your baby is still in the womb
- nutrition plans from specially trained registered dietitians
- orthopedic experts monitor your child’s joints
- pain management to address sickle cell pain crises, post-surgery or chronic pain
- pulmonologists treat infections and check for swelling in the lungs
- surgery by our board-certified pediatric general surgeons to remove the gallbladder or spleen
- transfusion services and testing including red blood cell exchange transfusion
- transition of care when it’s time for adult care and services
Why Choose Us for Sickle Cell Disease Care
Our internationally recognized Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (or “NCCBD”) offers children hematology care for sickle cell disease with a focus on improving outcomes and providing state-of-the-art therapies. To help give kids the best possible care, we also offer:
- blood and bone marrow transplant programs accredited by the Foundation for Accreditation of Cellular Therapies (FACT)
- customized treatment plans based on research and commonly accepted best care practices in pediatrics
- world-class facilities featuring the most advanced diagnostic techniques and equipment in a family-friendly setting
- school outreach and advocacy including help with community resources
Regional Sickle Cell Disease Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete care for kids with sickle cell disease at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
Our Nemours Partners for Perinatal Management can help parents-to-be plan ahead, prepare and determine next steps for their baby’s possible fetal diagnosis, including sickle cell disease.
We offer complete care for kids with sickle cell disease at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Center for Fetal Care is available at multiple locations throughout Central Florida to coordinate fetal tests, imaging and consults to help expecting mothers make the best decisions on many different health conditions, including sickle cell disease.