Children who are overweight may have medical, behavioral, and genetic factors that contribute to weight gain. Nemours specialists in weight loss for kids provide evaluation and treatment for kids who are at an unhealthy weight. And we know weight loss for kids is more than a number on a scale; it’s about managing a medical condition, finding ways to deal with emotional issues, and learning healthy approaches to food, eating, and exercise that will last a lifetime.
Our pediatric weight loss program is focused on helping your family adopt long-term, sustainable lifestyle changes that can lead to significant improvements in your child’s health and well-being.
For example, encouraging smaller food portions, increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables, replacing screen time with physical activity and drinking water instead of sugary drinks are all small steps that add up on the road to weight loss for kids.
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
The Weight Management Program at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children provides comprehensive, personalized care to help weight loss for kids and combat childhood obesity in Wilmington and the Delaware Valley.
What to Expect at Your Visit
An initial medical and lifestyle evaluation will be part of every child’s participation in the weight loss clinic. We will also evaluate your child for any weight-related medical problems, which may include:
- high cholesterol
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- orthopedic problems
Sometimes, referral to other specialists and medication is necessary to help manage these conditions.
A personalized weight loss plan will then be developed in consultation with the team. Monthly visits are usually required as part of you child’s weight loss treatment plan.
Services We Offer With Weight Loss For Kids
Learn more about what we offer to help your child with managing a healthy weight.
- consultations with our doctors, registered dietitians, exercise specialists (exercise physiologists and/or physical therapists), and psychologists, as well as others who can help to identify the best methods for improving your child’s healthy habits
- behavioral and psychological assessment, if appropriate, including:
- behavior-based goal setting (which allows your child to set realistic, attainable goals in order to maintain motivation)
- evaluation and treatment by behavioral health specialists (to address individual and family issues, such as depression, anxiety, poor self-esteem, parenting, and family concerns)
- related subspecialty care for more complex cases, including:
- adolescent bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery) for children who are severely obese and meet certain diagnostic criteria
- post-bariatric surgery rehabilitation
- long-term behavioral and psychological support
We use a team approach to help your child and family make these changes. Our team members may include doctors, nurses, registered dietitians, exercise specialists, and behavioral health experts, all of whom have special expertise in weight loss for kids.