Children who are overweight may have medical, behavioral, and genetic factors that contribute to weight gain. Nemours specialists in weight loss for kids provide evaluation and treatment for kids who are at an unhealthy weight. And we know weight loss for kids is more than a number on a scale; it’s about managing a medical condition, finding ways to deal with emotional issues, and learning healthy approaches to food, eating, and exercise that will last a lifetime.
Our pediatric weight loss program is focused on helping your family adopt long-term, sustainable lifestyle changes that can lead to significant improvements in your child’s health and well-being.
For example, encouraging smaller food portions, increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables, replacing screen time with physical activity and drinking water instead of sugary drinks are all small steps that add up on the road to weight loss for kids.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The Weight Management Program at Nemours Children’s Hospital provides provides comprehensive, personalized care to help with weight loss for kids and combat childhood obesity throughout Central Florida.
Our Healthy Choices clinic is a multi-disciplinary pediatric subspecialty clinic specializing in weight loss for kids 3 to 16 years old who are obese (BMI ≥ 95th percentile) or overweight (BMI ≥ 85th percentile) with associated medical conditions.
Our team of doctors, nurses, dietitians, exercise specialists, and counselors perform comprehensive medical, nutritional, fitness, and psychosocial assessments and then work with your family to negotiate healthy behavioral changes as well as help your child manage other conditions that can affect weight loss for kids. The team conducts ongoing research and community outreach projects.
We provide a comprehensive program of outpatient and specialty diagnostic and treatment services for weight loss for kids.
These services include:
- Identifying the best methods for improving your child’s healthy habits through consultations with our doctors, nurses, registered dietitians, exercise specialists, behavioral health specialists, and other health professionals.
- Behavioral and psychological assessments. If appropriate, these will include:
- behavior-based goal setting. This allows your child to set realistic, attainable goals in order to maintain motivation
- evaluation and treatment by behavioral health specialists to address individual and family issues, such as depression, anxiety, poor self-esteem, parenting, and family concerns
We’ll also provide related subspecialty care for more complex cases, including:
- gastroenterology (digestive health)
- endocrinology (hormones and growth)
- cardiology (heart care)
- pulmonology (lung care)
- orthopedics (bone and joint care)
- physical and rehabilitation medicine (physical therapy to improve muscle and joint function)
- nephrology (kidney care)
- adolescent medicine (care for preteens and teens)
We use a team approach to help your child and family make these changes. All of our team members have special expertise in weight loss for kids.
We’ll conduct an initial medical and lifestyle evaluation for every child who participates in the weight loss program. We will also evaluate your child for any weight-related medical problems, which may include:
- high cholesterol
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- orthopedic problems
- metabolic conditions
To help your child manage these conditions, we may prescribe medication. If necessary, we will refer your child to other specialists. Our team will work with you and your child to develop a personalized plan. Monthly visits are usually required as part of your child’s treatment plan.