In 2012, the American Nurses Credentialing Center awarded Magnet status to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Del., in recognition for its professional nursing excellence — a designation that is awarded to less than 4 percent of hospitals nationwide.
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
At Nemours, Nursing is more than just a department; it is a philosophy embodied by every nursing Associate — that we are shared guardians of children’s health and joy. Our nurses have a gift for caring for children and the needs of their families.
Advocate. Caregiver. Nurturer.
As dedicated professionals, our nurses support an environment of opportunity for personal growth and professional development, teaching each other and our patients and families important aspects of care.
Throughout Nemours, in our hospitals, specialty care clinics, and in outpatient and inpatient settings, our nurses use their experience and knowledge to translate research into evidence-based practice, continuously improving the safety and quality of our family-centered care.
From our Magnet® hospital, Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, to pediatric clinics across the Delaware Valley, our nurses are dedicated to providing outstanding care to children and families.
Learn more about our locations in:
At Nemours Children's Hospital in Orlando, and in our clinics throughout Central and North Florida, our nurses share a passion to provide family-centered care tailored to the needs of each child and family.
Get more information about our locations in Florida:
Empowering Nurses and Providing Leadership
Shared governance at Nemours offers nurses real power to impact the care that is given to patients, along with the knowledge that each contribution will be heard and respected.
The result is a dynamic nursing culture built on trust and communication in which four core values are emphasized:
Shared Governance Councils
Shared Governance Councils give our nurses a meaningful, ongoing say in how they do their work by providing opportunities to identify patient care needs and clinical practice issues that might require discussion or improvement.
The Shared Governance Council at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Delaware, meets monthly, with smaller unit meetings in major areas.
The Shared Governance Councils at Nemours Children’s Hospital, Orlando, and at Nemours Children's Clinic, Jacksonville meet monthly with smaller group meetings as needed. Nemours Children's Clinic, Pensacola is in the Shared Governance beginning phase of development. These sessions support elevation of clinical and professional issues that require discussion by the larger nursing population and helps empower our professionals toward improvement of family-centered patient care excellence.
Meet Our Leaders
“I see my role as both leader and facilitator — helping our nurses govern themselves and get what they need in order to provide the very best care for our patient-families. We want our nurses to know that they have a voice in our organization, and to give them every opportunity to advance professionally in pediatric nursing.”
Barbara Meeks, MSN, MBA, RN, CENP
Chief Nurse Executive, Nemours Children’s Hospital, Orlando and Nemours Children’s Clinic — Florida Locations
“Our nurses have a critical role in providing the highest quality care to our patients and their families. Shared governance is the foundation that allows clinical nurses to have a meaningful voice in the quality, practice, research and educational aspects of their practice. The strength of this structure has positioned us to embrace an interprofessional model of governance in which nurses will continue to be excellent professionals and strong partners.”
Jane Mericle, MHS-CL, BSN, RN, CENP
Chief Nurse Executive, Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Del.
Advance Your Nursing Career and Goals
We believe that professional education is a lifelong process and we work to promote, facilitate and provide learning opportunities that enhance the quality of nursing care through evidence-based practice.
This commitment to professional development can be seen by the numbers:
- over 70 percent of nurses at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Delaware, have achieved a BSN degree or higher.
- our new Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando, has an RN nursing staff with 60 percent BSN or higher degrees.
Throughout Nemours, nurses are also involved in research studies, integrating new empirical knowledge with their own clinical expertise. In building the infrastructure that supports nursing excellence, our nurses are proactively taking on new and varied responsibilities to achieve transformational change and improve patient outcomes.
Nursing Professional Development in Delaware
The Nursing Professional Development Department exists to support the professional growth of all of the members of the Department of Nursing.
Nursing Education Center
The Nursing Education Center — with its simulation lab, computers, classroom space, teleconferencing capability and top-notch clinical nurse specialists — is the cornerstone for our nurses’ professional advancement.
Professional Excellence in Florida
The Nursing Professional Excellence Department at Nemours Children’s Hospital, Orlando supports professional growth for all Florida members of the Department of Nursing, with a primary focus in Orlando.
Nemours Children's Hospital (NCH) Nursing Education Center
The NCH Education Center includes classroom spaces, computer labs, simulation equipment, teleconferencing and a 250 seat auditorium, with outstanding nurse educators and clinical nurse specialists that support nursing professional growth and advancement.
Become the Nurse You Want to Be
We realize that nurses reflect the heart of our mission every day. That’s why we are committed to recruiting and retaining nurses who share a dedication to helping children grow up healthy. At Nemours, we give nurses the opportunity to do the work they love and pursue their professional goals by offering:
- collaborative family-centered care, including patient family rounding
- clinical and academic partnerships
- interdisciplinary inpatient and outpatient care
- research and education opportunities
- great benefits and flexible schedules
- respectful working environment
Health System Accolades
- Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children nursing program granted Magnet status 2012, by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), in recognition for its professional nursing excellence — a designation that demonstrates our nurses’ commitment to delivering the highest quality of care to our patients and families
- DAISY Foundation Award for Extraordinary Nurses — Nemours is proud to be part of the DAISY Foundation which recognizes the super-human work nurses do every day. Award recipients are chosen monthly by nurse administrators, peers, physicians, patients and families
- Our pediatric specialty programs were named among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report
- Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children was awarded the Elite Distinction as one of 12 Leapfrog Top Children’s Hospitals in the country in 2012, recognizing exceptional quality and patient safety
- Advanced Electronic Health Record (EHR) technology that works seamlessly across multiple locations
- Among the “Most Wired” hospitals and health systems in the U.S., Hospitals and Health Networks magazine, 2012
- Nemours Center for Children’s Health Media, creator of KidsHealth.org — the #1 most-visited website devoted to children’s health
Benefits at Nemours
Nemours offers comprehensive health coverage for Associates and their families (also same-sex domestic partners), including our unique pediatric health plan “Bridge to a Healthy Future.”
We also offer paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and a number of other benefits.