About the Program
Our high school volunteer program places students 16 years of age and older in departments throughout the clinic. We offer both a summer program and a year-round student program.
Teen volunteers can gain valuable experience, marketable skills, and an appreciation for community service through our student programs. Volunteering with children is serious business. We have the same performance standards for our student volunteers as we do for our adults. If you want a chance to learn about health care careers, interact with pediatric patients and their families, or simply help others, this program provides excellent opportunities for you!
Please note that all volunteer opportunities are available in 4-hour shifts Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon or 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Summer Volunteer Program Full
This year’s summer program is currently full. We will resume the application process for the Fall Program in mid-July for students who wish to volunteer after school starts. Please check back for more details, and thank you for your interest in our summer volunteer program.
How to Apply
All high school volunteers must:
- request an online application by contacting the Volunteer Services Department
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer, and a urine drug screening (all provided by Nemours)
- clear background screenings, including — but not limited to — two personal references
- participate in an interview with the Director of Volunteer Services
- attend a 4-hour orientation class and annual update training
- complete training to perform outstanding customer service to patients, their families, and associates
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve a 4-hour shift once a week in a designated time slot
Year-round teen volunteers may apply in July for the fall school year. They may work no more than once a week after school and no later than 5:00 p.m. while school is in session. Teens may work more hours and days during school breaks and on teacher work days.
Summer teen volunteers must email or call to request an online application between January 2 – January 15 for the following summer. Teens must be at least 16 years old by June 1st. Early application is strongly recommended as our program fills up very quickly. Check the website for notification when the summer program is full.
- have consistent patience interacting with children from birth to age 16, as well as with their siblings and parents
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties and responsibilities
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet new and interesting people
- gain invaluable learning experiences, as well as references and recommendations
- be eligible for a college scholarship (two are given each year)
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- receive free parking and a free meal in the cafeteria
- be recognized for your service hours