View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most-viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected nonprofit organizations.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
Trusted External Resources
- American Cochlear Implant Alliance
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- American Academy of Audiology
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- It’s a Noisy Planet
Helping Sam Hear: A Family's Journey (Video)
In January 2006, a blue eyed, 3-month-old baby named Sam was diagnosed with profound hearing loss. His parents, Chris and Teresa, found comfort and hope as they learned that a surgical hearing device called a cochlear implant could one day help Sam to hear. Take a journey with this family through the many hurdles and triumphs they face as Sam enters the hearing world.
Date reviewed: September 06, 2016