Our Emergency Department (ED) is fully equipped to handle all kinds of pediatric emergencies, including a variety of injuries and illnesses, in children from birth to age 18. We have full access to Nemours pediatric specialists, which means guidance for your child's complex injury or illness is just a phone call away.
Phone: (407) 567-4000
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
From the moment you arrive at the Pediatric Emergency Department at Nemours Children’s Hospital, our goal is to get your child in a room and assessed by our highly experienced Pediatric Emergency team as soon as possible — with no waiting.
An Emergency Department Designed by Families, for Families
Our Emergency Department was designed in partnership with our Family Advisory Council and their input is evident in both the child-friendly surroundings and in how our care is delivered.
You can expect:
- access to world-class pediatric medical and surgical specialists on call 24 hours a day
- immediate assessment and room assignment
- bedside registration
- 16 large, private, exam rooms where families can stay close to their child during tests and procedures
- 2 fully equipped major resuscitation rooms
- internal playroom/lounge for families awaiting tests or procedures
- Child Life specialists who use play activities and other therapies to help minimize the stress of your child’s visit
Making Parents True Partners in Emergency Care
We know that any medical emergency involving children causes stress and worry both for the child and parent. That’s why we encourage you to be with your child throughout the emergency visit. Your presence and voice can make all the difference and your input is critical to helping us provide personalized care for
This family-centered approach not only helps you and your child feel better, it results in better outcomes. When families are involved, children have less anxiety and are more cooperative, which helps us to be able to provide the most effective care and treatment possible.
A Pediatric Emergency Team Dedicated to Your Child's Care
From the registered nurse who greets you in our ED lobby, to our pediatric emergency physicians, nurses, and paramedics, we are a team, collaborating to provide the very highest level of emergency care to your child and family. This team philosophy gives everyone a voice and ensures that we work together to coordinate care for your child in the best and most efficient way possible.
We’ve been fortunate enough to have some of the most forward thinking and highly trained pediatric emergency professionals from all over the country join us. What brings this remarkable group together is the promise — of treating every child as their own.
Our team includes:
- pediatric board-certified Emergency Medicine physicians
- pediatric emergency nurses
- pediatric advanced practice nurses (highly skilled nurse practitioners with pediatric emergency experience)
One of the benefits of bringing your child to Nemours Children’s Hospital is that, right on campus, we provide additional services geared toward children and families, including:
- pediatric radiology: Our comprehensive X-ray and medical imaging center is located right next to our pediatric ED. And our pediatric radiology specialists are committed to using the lowest radiation dose necessary to get an accurate image during an X-ray or any other type of medical imaging test.
- pediatric anesthesia: Whether providing anesthesia for surgery or sedation for tests and procedures, our focus is on your child’s comfort and the quality of your child’s recovery. We try to find innovative alternatives to traditional narcotics and choose medications with fewer side effects to help a child feel good and wake up clear-headed.
- pediatric surgical services: If your child needs surgery, it’s good to know that our skilled pediatric surgeons and specialized teams are on call 24 hours a day to provide advanced surgical services in areas ranging from general surgery (spacing) to neurosurgery.
- pathology: Using the latest generation of technology and equipment, our pathologists can quickly turn around lab tests and results.
- pediatric respiratory services: Experienced respiratory therapists provide breathing treatments, offer education, and perform regular breathing assessments during your child’s visit.
- social work: Our social workers can help your family with resource referrals and coordinating transportation.
If your child is going home after an emergency room visit, we’ll give you complete instructions about what to expect and when to call us.
We’ll also call you the day after you’re discharged to see how your child is doing. And we’ll provide details about the ED visit to your child’s primary care doctor through our sophisticated electronic health record, by fax, or phone.
More Hospital Services & Amenities
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the first floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care, even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.