The world-renowned pediatric orthopedists at Nemours are experts at evaluating and treating children from birth through age 18 with limb length discrepancies and deformities. Our specialists take a multidisciplinary team approach to diagnose and correct limb inequalities using advanced, nonsurgical treatments (such as physical medicine and rehabilitation) and state-of-the-art, minimally invasive limb lengthening surgical procedures and limb reconstruction.
Recognized as international leaders and pioneers in pediatric orthopedics and orthopedic surgery, our specialists and care teams are dedicated to treating your child — not just the condition. Limb length discrepancy in children results from congenital malformations (defects present at birth), acquired problems (such as trauma) and certain diseases (neurofibromatosis, Blount disease). At Nemours, we understand the complex conditions and injuries that can cause functional discrepancy, and will work with you to understand available treatment options specific to your child’s needs.
When you come to Nemours, you can expect compassionate care in a family-centered environment. This means that every detail, from our medical care and support services to our facilities and amenities, were designed with you in mind. We value your opinion and encourage participation in your child’s care, because you know your child best.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
The Department of Orthopedics at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando provides care for kids from birth to age 18 with varying conditions that cause limb length discrepancy (unequal limb length) or deformity.
To provide a diagnostic evaluation and limb length discrepancy treatment designed to improve function and well-being, we rely on a team approach that combines the expertise of pediatric:
- orthopedic surgeons
- physical therapists
- orthotists (fit braces or splints)
We also consult with specialists from genetics, physical medicine and rehabilitation and Child Life to provide a range of services — all under one roof.
Congenital malformations, such as:
- fibular hemimelia (missing part of the fibula, or outer bone between the knee and ankle)
- congenital short femur (born with a short femur, or bone between the hip and knee)
- hemihyperplasia (one side of the body is larger than the other)
Acquired problems, such as:
- trauma (bone fractures)
- infection that damages growth plates
Limb length discrepancy caused by disease:
- neurofibromatosis (condition that causes tumors to grow on the nerves)
- Blount disease (growth disorder that affects the tibia, or shin bone)
We offer both surgical and non-surgical treatments for limb length discrepancy, such as:
- epiphysiodesis (surgically slowing the growth of the longer leg)
- limb lengthening
- limb shortening
- limb deformity correction
- shoe lifts and bracing
Whatever kind of limb length discrepancy your child has, know that at Nemours we do whatever is in our power to give your child the very best, most compassionate treatment possible.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the first floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care, even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.