If your child needs pediatric surgery, it’s good to know that Nemours surgeons and specialized teams are skilled in procedures ranging from routine outpatient surgery to complex inpatient surgeries. Pediatric surgeons perform “general surgery” (also called “pediatric surgery”), which means operations for children on areas of the body other than the “brain, bones, and heart.”
We offer a wide range of surgical services in our advanced pediatric surgery center for kids of any age, from newborns to teens. Some of the common pediatric surgeries our board-certified surgeons perform treat conditions and problems like:
- abnormalities or defects: either congenital (present at birth) or acquired (ones that develop over time) including abdominal wall, chest wall, endocrine system (glands), gastrointestinal tract, lungs, head and neck masses
- abscesses, lesions, and burns on the skin and soft tissue
- appendicitis: inflammation of the appendix (a small finger-like organ that's attached to the large intestine in the lower right side of the abdomen and is usually accompanied by fever and pain in the lower abdomen and around the belly button that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation)
- gastrointestinal conditions: such as gastroesophageal reflux, inflammatory bowel disease, and gallbladder disease
- endocrine problems: like thyroid/parathyroid conditions
- hernias: when part of an organ or tissue in the body such as a loop of intestine pushes through an opening or weak spot in a muscle wall
- conditions in infants or newborns — such as pyloric stenosis, intestinal malrotation, intussusception, and necrotizing enterocolitis
- oncology conditions
- obesity: bariatric/lap band surgery
Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
In certain cases and at some Nemours locations, our pediatric surgeons are able to offer minimally invasive procedures (including robotic surgery) to diagnose and treat various conditions.
Traditional "open surgery" procedures require larger "open incisions,"
whereas minimally invasive procedures use the patient’s natural openings (like the mouth and throat) or tiny incisions an inch or smaller. And that means shorter hospital stays, quicker recovery times, less pain and discomfort, reduced chance of infection and bleeding, and much smaller scars.
For Appointments: (904) 697-3600
Hours vary, please call
Surgeons rotate visits, please call for more information.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Surgery for children is very different from surgery for adults. That’s why Nemours surgeons are specially trained in pediatric general surgery to help children of all ages and sizes — from the smallest newborns just entering the world, to teens on the verge of adulthood. Our goal is to use the least invasive surgical procedures available so kids can get back to being kids, sooner — with less pain and discomfort.
Pediatric Surgical Care Closer to Home
For your convenience, board-certified pediatric surgeons from Nemours Children’s Health System provide comprehensive surgical evaluation, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up for children in Volusia and Flagler counties, including pre and postoperative care.
Our pediatric surgeons’ expertise ranges from noncomplex pediatric surgical conditions (hernias) to obesity to gastrointestinal diseases requiring surgical intervention (inflammatory bowel disease) to congenital conditions in newborns (pyloric stenosis, intestinal malrotation and necrotizing enterocolitis).
If Your Child Needs Surgery or an Overnight Hospital Stay
Surgery, if needed, is performed by Nemours surgeons at Wolfson Children’s Hospital in Jacksonville, Fla. or at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando. When appropriate, our pediatric general surgeons can also perform minimally invasive surgery (surgeries with smaller incisions resulting in faster healing) using advanced, state-of-the-art thoracic, laparoscopic and endoscopic technologies.
Electronic Health Record: Keeping Track of Your Child’s Progress
No matter where your child receives care at Nemours, your medical team (including your primary care provider) can access your child’s medical history, test results and visit notes anytime through our award-winning electronic health record system.
You can also view parts of your child's health records, communicate with your Nemours care team, make appointments, request prescription refills and more through our MyNemours online patient portal.