Our team of pediatric Nemours Cardiac Center specialists (at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children) is committed to keeping children healthy and helping them live long, disease-free lives. That’s why we focus on the prevention of heart problems that can occur in adults as a result of being overweight or obese — such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol in children, triglycerides (fats in the blood), diabetes and coronary artery disease (narrowing of the blood vessels of the heart).
At the Nemours Cardiac Center, we have a team of cardiologists working in the area of preventive cardiology services. In fact, we’re internationally recognized for investigations into preventive cardiology, and we maintain a leadership role in national efforts to prevent heart disease by combating high cholesterol in children and other preventive cardiology conditions.
Nemours Cardiac Center cardiologists diagnose and treat:
- high blood pressure (also called “hypertension”). Blood pressure is the pressure the blood forces against the blood vessel walls as the heart pumps. When someone has high blood pressure, the heart and arteries have a much heavier workload. The heart must pump harder and the arteries are under greater strain as they carry blood. Infants, children and teens can have high blood pressure.
- hypercholesterolemia (high amounts of cholesterol in the blood). Cholesterol is a waxy substance that’s found in the body’s cells, in the blood and in some foods. High cholesterol in children is a major risk factor for heart disease and can lead to a heart attack.
- familial hypercholesterolemia (or FH). FH is a genetic condition that may run in families causing high cholesterol in children and can cause heart attacks at a young age.
- elevated LDL (“bad cholesterol”)
- elevated triglycerides (fats in the blood that store energy until the body needs it). Too many triglycerides can clog blood vessels and cause health problems.
Nemours Cardiac Center cardiologists measure height, weight and blood pressure at every office visit to screen for obesity and hypertension. Your pediatric cardiologist knows the guidelines regarding when to look for high cholesterol in children and may order blood tests at your child’s visit.
Our preventive cardiologists will formulate diet counseling and an appropriate exercise plan for your child’s situation, and devise a treatment plan that’s individualized for optimum success for your child. Our Cardiac Center team also works with Nemours’ dedicated weight management program pediatricians, diet and nutrition experts and physical therapists — who are all committed to improving and maintaining your child’s health and preventing future problems due to high blood pressure, triglycerides, or high cholesterol in children.
Sometimes high blood pressure and high cholesterol in children are inherited, so our preventive cardiologists will work with our heart center’s genetic counselor to explore your family history to understand your child’s specific risk and develop an individualized treatment plan for your child’s long-term health.
Learn More About Your Child's Condition
Get detailed information from Nemours’ experts at KidsHealth:
Make an Appointment
Information for Patients
Outpatient Services and Inpatient Units: (302) 651-6660
After 5 p.m. and Weekends:
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit: (302) 651-6644
General Inpatient Unit, 2B: (302) 651-6690
+1 (302) 651-4993
Did You Know?
Our preventive cardiologists see children at our outpatient services office in the Nemours Cardiac Center at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, as well as at satellite outpatient offices in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Learn More »