Over the past few decades, the childhood obesity epidemic has made it more important than ever for children to be screened for risk factors of adult heart disease. Our Nemours pediatric preventive cardiology experts can evaluate and offer guidance for kids of all ages dealing with conditions that could put them at risk for heart problems, such as obesity and diabetes.
Children’s eating, exercising and lifestyle habits today can have a huge impact, positive and negative, on their health down the road. Pinpointing and addressing possible problems early on can keep kids from having big health issues (such as strokes, heart attacks and heart disease) as adults.
That’s where our Nemours preventive cardiology experts come in. We evaluate and offer guidance for kids of all ages dealing with conditions that could put them at risk for heart issues (especially atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries) including:
- weight problems or obesity
- high blood pressure (also called hypertension)
- high (elevated) cholesterol
Our experts can perform a complete cardiovascular risk evaluation and if your child is at risk, develop a personalized management plan that includes practical ways (like changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle) to reduce your child’s likelihood of future cardiovascular disease. And our preventive cardiologists work along with your child’s primary care doctor to help your child grow into a healthy adult.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Pediatric cardiologists at the Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando are experts in the area of preventive heart medicine. Our experienced, caring, board-certified pediatric preventive cardiologists can perform a complete cardiovascular risk evaluation. If your child has weight problems/obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, we can develop a management plan to support your child’s long-term wellness and heart healthy future.
No matter where your child receives care at Nemours, your medical team (including your primary care provider) can access your child’s medical history, test results and visit notes anytime through our award-winning electronic health record system.
You can also view parts of your child's health records, communicate with your Nemours care team, make appointments, request prescription refills and more through our MyNemours online patient portal.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
If your child needs to stay overnight, you’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check email, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here at Nemours Children’s Hospital.
Our unique services include:
- Interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- Neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition, we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the first floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families cope by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing /case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources. Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK or call (407) 650-7493.