When kids can’t control their daytime urination or bowel movements past the time of toilet training it’s called "incontinence." Incontinence can be physically and emotionally exhausting for both children and their parents. For kids, it can cause anxiety, depression and/or significant social problems including isolation, decreased school performance and bullying.
At Nemours, we know how overwhelming incontinence can be for everyone in the family. That’s why we’re here to help kids with problems holding or releasing urine (pee) or stool (poop). We want to help them achieve continence — the ability to control their bladder and bowels. We provide services for kids of all ages who are experiencing:
- urinary incontinence (inability to control urination)
- fecal incontinence (inability to control bowel movements)
- failure to toilet (potty) train
- chronic constipation
- problems with urinary frequency and urgency (i.e., having to pee suddenly and often)
- incomplete bladder emptying
- recurring (ongoing) urinary tract infections
For Appointments: (904) 697-3163
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Resources for Patients & Families
In most hospitals and health systems, children who have problems with elimination (peeing and pooping) have to see different kinds of specialists at different times. This often means doctors work separately, families have to come in for lots of appointments, and kids don’t get the help they need to deal with all of their challenges. But at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville we see kids with incontinence problems all within one coordinated program. And that means more comprehensive, more convenient care — and improved results for kids and their families.
Families can feel comfortable choosing our pediatric continence experts because of our:
- Coordinated pediatric care. Our Continence Clinic includes a team of clinicians who have specialized training in the care of children with incontinence and disordered elimination.
- The region’s first biofeedback program. Our clinic was the first in North Florida to use biofeedback to help pediatric patients with voiding dysfunction (problems with emptying or filling the bladder). Biofeedback uses fun, interactive games to help kids better understand and manage this personal issue.
- Testing designed specifically for newborns, kids and teens. In addition to ultrasounds and X-rays, we can perform advanced diagnostic testing and imaging studies that allow us to pinpoint the problem. The test results assist us in tailoring the plan of care to the child’s specific problems. Focused treatment results in better outcomes.