At Nemours we know that no surgery is “small” when it’s your child. You can count on our specially trained anesthesiologists and nurses to look out for your child’s safety and comfort, and prevent pain and anxiety before, during and after procedures — from the routine to the most complex.
Preventing Pain & Increasing Safety
Services We Offer
Anesthesia is a special type of medicine that prevents the feeling of pain during surgery and certain kinds of procedures. At Nemours, we’ll:
- thoroughly evaluate your child before any procedure, explain the type of anesthesia we’ll use, and answer all of your questions
- give your child’s anesthetic medications during the procedure and carefully monitor your child afterward
- give sedation medicines to relax your child and make it easier to perform procedures that don’t require anesthesia
We offer many different types of pediatric anesthesiology services — far too many to list here. And the exact types may differ by location and your child’s condition. Your child’s physician will order the most appropriate anesthesia for your child.
Why Choose Us
All of our anesthesiologists are board-certified, with advanced training in one or more areas — such as pediatrics and pediatric intensive or critical care. In fact, almost all of our anesthesiologists have additional board certification in not just anesthesiology but pediatric anesthesiology. That means we have expertise with the unique anesthesia needs of children. So we’re especially qualified to keep your child comfortable and as calm as possible. We're experienced in things like dealing with very small infant airways, starting IVs in tiny veins, and monitoring kids' organ functions (heart, lungs and brain).
Here are some other reasons families can trust us for their child’s anesthesia needs:
- expertise at knowing the correct dose of medication required to accomplish the desired effect — using less medication allows your child to spend less time recovering from anesthesia and reduces the chance of side effects
- close communication with many other specialists to determine the best treatment plan for your child and coordinate and combine procedures (to reduce the number of times a child may have to go under anesthesia)
- wide variety of postoperative (after surgery) pain relief techniques to shorten kids’ length of stay, reduce pain, and reduce the use of narcotic-based pain medications
Regional Pediatric Anesthesiology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pediatric anesthesiology services at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
- 24-hour pediatric anesthesiology services at duPont Hospital for Children for kids who need inpatient or outpatient surgery
- wide range of pediatric anesthesiology services at our advanced, fully equipped pediatric outpatient surgery centers at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Bryn Mawr and Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Deptford
- team approach, with anesthesiologists often assisted by a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), who's a Master's-trained, advanced practice nurse licensed to provide pediatric anesthesia to patients in all settings
- pediatric pain management services if your child has pain after the procedure
- play therapy sessions to lessen kids’ fears about a procedure
- high level of excellence necessary to be a teaching hospital — academic connections with Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) and Christiana Care Health System to train the next generation of anesthesiologists
- fully accredited Pediatric Anesthesia Specialty Physician Fellowship Program
- partner with several nursing schools to train Masters in Nursing in anesthesia care
- Ronald McDonald House of Delaware right across from our hospital’s campus
We offer pediatric anesthesiology services at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- 24-hour pediatric anesthesiology services
- advanced research and education in pediatric anesthesia, attracting some of the top pediatric anesthesia specialists in the country
- commitment to advancing the newest and most effective pediatric anesthesia techniques
- pediatric pain management services (led by a board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist) unique to our area
- academic connections with the Florida State Universirty and University of Central Florida colleges of medicine
- Ronald McDonald House directly on our campus, for an affordable home away from home during long hospital stays
We offer pediatric anesthesiology services at neighbor and collaborating hospital Wolfson Children’s Hospital), with follow-ups after surgery in the hospital and at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville.
- pediatric anesthesia consultation clinic — for children receiving certain types of surgery or children with complex medical conditions
- academic and clinical connections with the University of Florida College of Medicine–Jacksonville and Mayo Clinic Florida
- fully accredited Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship Program
- Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville , for an affordable home away from home during long hospital stays