Your child’s physician may order lab tests to learn more about your child’s health, or to discover the specific cause or status of an illness. The doctor will send samples of your child’s cells or bodily fluids (such as urine or blood) to our lab, where our board-certified pathologists (doctors specially trained to examine cells, tissues and fluids) will run tests and examine the samples under microscopes. We provide many kinds of inpatient and outpatient testing for kids of all ages, from birth to adolescence. All of our pathologists are exclusively pediatric pathologists. That means they know exactly what to look for when analyzing samples from children.
Pathology (Lab Services)
Kid-Friendly Tests, Fast Results
Conditions We Treat
Your child’s doctor may order lab work to help diagnose an illness or condition, monitor an illness, determine whether treatment is working, and/or see how well your child’s organs are functioning.
We perform lab tests for a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive pediatric pathology services, including:
- blood, urine and other body fluid tests
- blood and bone marrow transplant specimen processing
- cultures (tests that can identify infection by checking for the growth of bacteria or viruses)
- evaluation of organ tissue (removed during surgery) and skin tissue (taken from a biopsy — the removal of a sample of tissue from the body for further examination)
- genetic and chromosomal analysis
- medication therapy monitoring
- sweat testing (to look for evidence of cystic fibrosis)
- tests for antigens (foreign subjects that invade the body) in the blood, throat, urine, spinal fluid or stool
Why Choose Us
Our pathology labs feature highly qualified physicians who are board-certified in pathology. That means we specialize in children’s diseases, with specific training and experience in examining samples from kids and teens. And we’re dedicated to getting children’s diagnoses right — and getting you test results as quickly as possible. We don’t want you and your child to wait unnecessarily for results. That’s why we’ve made investments in specialized equipment that allow us to do as many examinations as possible right in our own labs. This eliminates the need, time and expense of having to send samples out to some other lab for processing.
Regional Pathology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pediatric inpatient and outpatient lab services at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- analysis of most specimens in our on-site, state-of-the-art lab
- basic emergency tests results available in typically less than an hour
- teachers of the next generation of pediatric pathologists — we’re professors in the Division of Pediatric Pathology for the Department of Pathology of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) in Philadelphia
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
Past the outpatient lobby
Monday–Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Blood draws and other tests require an appointment. We’re usually able to coordinate your child’s lab visit with another appointment — often on the same day. Our patient service representatives can check if your insurance covers our lab services.
We offer pediatric inpatient lab services at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando). We perform analysis of most specimens in our on-site, state-of-the-art lab, with basic emergency tests results available in typically less than an hour.
For the convenience of busy families, outpatient lab services are offered by LabCorp on-site at Nemours Children’s Hospital (located on-Ground Floor). Your health insurance plan may require you to use a preferred lab. Please ask when you call for your appointment.