All kids get upset stomachs sometimes. But if they become a routine part of your child’s days, something more may be behind the tummy aches. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a chronic (ongoing) condition that causes inflammation (redness, swelling or ulcers) in the digestive tract. This can cause pain and cramps, along with problems converting food to energy. IBD can affect your child’s whole life. That’s why Nemours’ experts in digestion work with other specialists. Our goal is to help kids with IBD be as happy and healthy as possible with fewer IBD symptoms.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Expert Care for Kids With Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis
IBD Conditions We Treat
There are two types of inflammatory bowel disease: Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. With both kinds, the immune system causes swelling when and where it shouldn’t. What’s different is which area of the body the two types affect:
- Crohn’s disease can affect any area involved in digestion.
- Ulcerative colitis affects only the large intestine (colon). It causes sores (ulcers) on the inner lining of the colon.
IBD Services We Offer
IBD in children is a chronic disease that requires ongoing follow-up and care. Our board-certified pediatric gastroenterologists (experts in treating children’s digestive disorders) may work with specialists in immunology, nutrition, genetics, psychology, surgery and more to help kids with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis as they grow.
Like asthma, IBD can “flare up” from time to time. At Nemours, we can help your child reduce the number of flare-ups with a combination of medications, lifestyle changes and, in some cases, surgery. With the right treatment, your child can be in “remission” (without flare-ups) for months or even years.
Our Crohn’s and colitis services, which may vary depending on the condition or location, may include:
- education programs and family support — helping you find community resources and giving you the tools you need
- IBD clinics to bring together different specialists in one visit
- medication management to help reduce IBD symptoms like pain and fever, and keep the immune system from attacking the body
- nutrition planning and other dietary services to reduce IBD symptoms and the effects of certain medications, and make sure your child is getting the vitamins and minerals they need
- psychological care to help kids and families cope with the condition and treatment
- surgery, if needed, using advanced surgical techniques that reduce surgery risks, recovery time and pain
Why Choose Us for IBD
At Nemours, we offer advanced inflammatory bowel disease technologies and therapies. Our IBD programs offer complete care to diagnose, treat and manage kids’ Crohn’s and colitis symptoms. We’re here to help families manage both the physical and emotional aspects of IBD.
And we’re leaders in IBD care for kids, as participants in ImproveCareNow . This national pediatric IBD improvement network helps us track how well we’re doing and coordinate efforts to improve care for all of the kids we see with IBD.
Regional IBD Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete inflammatory bowel disease care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations. Our pediatric hospital is ranked one of the country’s best for gastroenterology (GI) and GI surgery by U.S. News & World Report®.
We offer complete inflammatory bowel disease care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville (working with Wolfson Children’s Hospital) as well as select satellite locations. We offer combined appointments once a week so you can see your child’s entire team during one visit.